Persistent identifier:
73057763
image: of 50
ITS HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES.
•27
peace this sword is kept sheathed and in time of war unsheathed.
In the churches of the town there is an exceptional want of architectural interest seeing that at least four of the existing foundations were extant in the time of Henry II., who granted them to a fraternity of Austin friars or Black canons, founded by Henry I. at St. Denis, a suburb of the town, of which priory but a few stones only now remain. Until the dissolution, however, these monks served the churches in the town, and had here for the purpose a house called Little St. Denis. Holy Bood, the church with the steeple at the intersection of Bridge-street with the High-street, had a nave in the Decorated style of the 14th century, the chancel being in the style of the succeeding period, the Perpendicular ; but in 1850 it was rebuilt, except the tower. It contains a monument by Bysback in memory of Miss Stanley, celebrated in Thomson's Seasons ; and on the exterior western front a tablet commemorating the fate of twenty-two persons who lost their lives by a calamitous fire in the parish in 1837.
The church opposite (St. Michael's) has Norman tower arches— the steeple is a modern addition—and a Perpendicular chancel, two beautiful specimens of windows in the last-mentioned style being inserted in the northern aisle. A great deal of Norman work is still to be found in the church, which has lately had all the plaster stripped off its walls, thus showing with tolerable clearness the additions and alterations from time to time. It contains a font of remarkably good Norman work, with square top and detached late Norman shafts, the sculpture so closely resembling that on the Winchester Cathedral font as to give ground for believing that both were by the same artist. Undoubtedly it is among the finest of only, it is believed, three in the kingdom bearing-sculptures of the middle of the 12th century. The brass lectern with the conventional spread eagle is a good specimen of 15th century work. In the east end are an ambrie and piscina of the 13th century, with two side arches leading to chapels of the 14th century. The church also contains a tomb of the Elizabethan period, or perhaps slightly earlier. It was for many years regarded as that of Wriothesley, earl of Southampton, who as Chancellor in the time of Henry VIII. passed sentence on Anne Bolevn. The figure, in a reclining posture, is tolerably perfect, but the Iconoclasts, ancient and modern, have defaced both the monument and inscription. Sir Frederic Madden, however, before the archaeologists' meeting at Winchester in 1845, satisfactorily demonstrated from evidence presented by the tomb, that it was that of Sir Richard Lyster, Chief Justice of the Common Pleas,
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS