This website (pages with addresses located under https://viewer.soton.ac.uk/) provides an online search and discovery portal for the collections held by University of Southampton Library. It is powered by Epexio, hosted and developed by Metadatis Ltd.
We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- Use the accessibility tools in your browser to change colours and contrast levels
- Zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen.
- Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- Navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- Listen to majority of the website content using a screen reader
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- Some digital media (e.g. scanned images and audio) might not have transcripts or text-only versions
- Our record navigation tree
- Accessing transcripts with a screen reader and keyboard
What to do if you cannot access parts of this website
If you need information on this website in a different format please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you discover any problems not listed on this page or have suggestions on how we could improve the website to address a particular accessibity need, please get in touch. You can contact us via email at email@example.com
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Metadatis Ltd and University of Southampton Library are committed to making this website accessible.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
Non accessible content
Non compliance with the accessibility regulations
We are aware that our contents tree (used to navigate to more detailed pages/records) is not fully compliant with WCAG 2.1. We will aim to re-implement this feature by January 2022.
We are aware that certain transcripts are not navigable by keyboard only users (including screen readers). We will aim to fix this by January 2022
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
Where we provide historical material online, a lot of material will not meet accessibility standards. This material includes old PDFs and scanned material. This does not meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2. Some of our material may have transcriptions, but this can not be universally provided.
How we tested this website
We test both the underlying product (Epexio) and it specific use on this website.
The last generic accessibility test for Epexio was carried out on 2nd July 2019. The test was an internal test undertaken by (Metadatis Ltd).
- Standard navigation pages at (home page, browse collection page)}
- Search pages at /search, /search/advanced, and the resulting 'result' listings.
- Navigation on abd between record pages
Our latest test report is available at: https://content.epexio.com/reports/accessibility/accessibility-report-03-07-19.pdf
This statement was prepared on 5th November 2019. It was last updated on 6th March 2020.