Persistent identifier:
73057763
image: of 50
24
SOUTHAMPTON :
beam of wood to be slid up and down to resist tlie battering ram; the alure or inner parapet is in places very perfect.
Entering the postern gate leading to Blue Anchor-lane, there will be seen the doorway and exterior of a Norman house, the reputed palace of King John, and from the open interior—now a yard—a chimney, two-light window, and remarkably perfect shafts and capitals to the fireplace. Not far from this, in Simnel-street, is the reputed crypt of a monastery, but Mr. Parker thinks it more likely to have been a fine merchant's vault in the time of the Edwards ; it contains a fireplace of 14th century work.
Following the wall, at the West gate there are traces of a double portcullis, and of several apertures for annoying assailants. Passing through the narrow lane leading to the Pier, the waterside property embracing remains of the town wall, the large house at the end is Bugle hall. The site of the residence of the Earls of Southampton in the 16th century—where Shakespeare (see Henry V.) might have visited Henry Wriothesley, the bearer of that title, to whom he dedicated his " Yenus and Adonis,"—three centuries before it was known as the Bulehuse or Bolehulle, as Bugle-street, of which it forms the termination, was then known as Bolestrete. The old residence was destroyed by fire a century or more since. Immediately opposite is a warehouse of the 13th century date, strongly supported by round buttresses and containing an ancient timber roof. Next to it in Bugle-street is the Grammar School of the town, founded in 1550 by Dr. William Capon, and established by charter of Edward VL Still following the course of the river, in rear of the Corn Exchange will be seen what little remains of a fine Norman house of the time of Henry II., known as Canute's palace. Crossing the High-street, where till the beginning of the present century there was a Water Gate, we reach the Platform, off the south Gate and castle. Among the guns here, which are mostly modern, there is a large and curious bronze cannon presented to the town, as an inscription on it shows, by Henry VIII., bearing his imperial crown, the arms of England and Prance quartered, and supported by a dragon and greyhound. The Corporation books are very interesting for the light they throw upon the history of artillery and gunpowder, for so early as 1435 among the stores delivered to the new steward of the town hand guns are mentioned, and 40 years later details are given as to the making of gunpowder. At this time the gunner appears to have been an important personage, his residence kept up at the expense of the Corporation. The Gate here is believed to be of the time of Henry III., the larger outwork at the corner being a hornwork for its protection and to
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS