Persistent identifier:
59938745
image: of 215
40
THE GENERAL POST OFFICE AND GOVERNMENT SAYINGS' BANK.
On the right or east side of the street is the General Post Office, where the business of the Postal, Telegraph, Savings' Bank, and other Departments, is carried on. A little further are some old houses which contain curious carvings; higher up is Bridge-street (leading to the S. W. Railway Station, Docks, and Itchen Floating Bridge), and the old tower and west front of
HOLT RHOOD CHURCH,
Which was rebuilt in 1850, or rather restored, so far as the funds would admit. Its style is the Decorated, and the effect, both externally and internally, is striking and beautiful. The foundation appears to have been as ancient at least as St. Michael's; but in the 15th century, the original edifice, which extended half-way across the width of the present street, was pulled down, and a new one further to the west built in the then prevailing architecture. Afterwards the old Town Hall was erected against it, occupying a large portion of the present street, but subsequently to the erection of the Audit-house, this was also removed, leaving the mark of its roof ridge on the face of the Church tower. The last remnant of these civic encumberances was a long porch, called the " Proclamation," in front of the Church, constructed of wood, and supported on rude Tuscan columns, which was swept away within living memory.
A little above is the Dolphin Hotel, and at a short distance further appears the
CHURCH OF St. LAWRENCE AND ST. JOHN,
The present edifice, in the Early English style, was built in 1840 to replace the old church which was fast falling into ruins. The interior, of admirable design,
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS