Persistent identifier:
59938745
image: of 215
35
That the church is of the original length from east to west is proved by the existence of a double Norman picina in the extreme East End, and the rude massive masonry of the west wall.
The large Purbeck marble font is of Norman date, except the basement and central pillar, which are Early English. It is probably the work of the same artist as those at Winchester and East Meon, which are of the same character. The Church contains an Elizabethan monument to the memory of Sir Eichard Lyster, Chief Justice of the Common Pleas who lived at Southampton and died here, March 14th, 1556. Also a brass eagle lecturn of about 1450; some old books chained to a desk; a large coffer and several other interesting relics.
It was in this Church that prior to 1835, the mayors of the town used to be sworn, and for this reason the north chancel aisle was called the "Corporation Chapel."
After examining this interesting edifice, the visitor should return to the water-side by
FRENCH STREET.
This street, which leaves the High Street, nearly opposite St. Laurence Church, under the name of West-street, passes the east end of St. Michael's Church and terminates at the Quay. On the left as we descend in a small paved court with a row of limes before it, is the house which claims the honour of being the Birth-place of Dr. Isaac Watts. Nearly opposite this are the remains of a very ancient stone edifice, formerly the Weigh House for the Port, and now occupied by oil and colour stores. Further down on the site, till recently occupied by the Old Theatre stood St. John's Hospital (an ancient foundation for the education of lads in the wool trade). On the same side of the way is the back wall and mullioned window of the Grammar School, and opposite the Churchyard of St. John,
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS