Persistent identifier:
image: of 825

neighbourhood of southampton"—-1920. south stoneham. 675
wheat, oats and barley. The soil is sandy ; subsoil,, gravel and clay. The area is 1,296 acres,' 26 of water, 4 of tidal water and 1 of foreshore ; the population in 1911 was 4,679 ; rateable value, £10,720.
By Local Government Board Order No. 37,196, which came into operation ist April, 189S, part of South Stone ham was added to the civil parish and Urban District of Eastleigh
Portswood, formerly in the civil parish of South Stoneham, has been added to the municipal borough of Southampton under the provisions of the " Southampton Borough Extension Act, 1895," and with Bitterne is now a civil parish Under the Local -Government Act of 1894, Bitterne, Eastleigh, ETedgend & Westend are now constituted separate civil parishes
For particulars of South Stoneham Union, see Southampton, pages 24 & 25.
Sexton, William Wells.
Clerk to South Stoneham Parish Council & Burial Authority, Hugh K. Grierson, 15 Portland terrace, Southampton
Swaythling is partly in the parish of South Stoneham and partly ia North Stoneham, about 3 miles north by east from Southampton, having a station on the L. and S. W. .Railway, 2b miles from Eastleigh Junction. It is. in the Southern division of the county and South Stoneham union and jurisdiction.
Post, Telephone, Telegraph & Money Order. & Parcel Post Office.—Miss Jeannie Blow, sub-postmistress. Letters delivered from Southampton
There is a Church of England Voluntary School for infants at Hampton park, Southampton, for 150 infants, average attendance 132, Miss Higgs, mistress ; adjoining which is the new Council school, opened on June ist, 1909; 380 boys & girls, average attendance 350, Arthur John Snell, head master
Railway Station, Arth. Wiseman,station mas6
Blandford W. A. Hillside, High road Blow Benjamin, Westfield house Boucher Joseph, 3 Denstone terrace, High rd Bourne J. H. 1 Florence terrace, High road Bowyer Walter M. Umtali, High road Boyle J. W. W. The Limes, Burgess street Bridge Mrs. 3 Beulah terrace, High road Bridger Miss, 3 Beulah terrace, High road Bright F. 1 May cottages, Park road Brown E. Woodvale, High road
consisting of chancel, nave, transepts and an embattled western tower with 3 bells, and contains 340 sittings. In the chancel there is a curious memorial to Edmond Gierke, who was clerk to His Majestie's Privy Seal and died in 1632. It re presents him and bis wife kneeling face to face, with a desk between them, under a canopy, below they are again represented in the same position with the sons kneeling behind the father; and the daughters behind the mother, bat unfortunately several of the figures have been mutilated. The living is a vicarage, yearly value from tithe rent-charge £420, average £379, net income £289, with 20 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the rector of St. Mary, Southampton, and held since 1892 by the Rev. John Duguirl Paton b.A. of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford. A burial ground for this parish was opened in 1904, and contains about 5 acres. The Public Hall here was erected by the late Sir Samuel Montague bart. (afterwards Lord Swaythling) (d. 1911), and contains reading, recreation and billiard rooms. The charities amount to ^18 ios. 4d. yearly, derived from benefactions in 1680 by Mr, James Serle, of Allington, in 1689 by the Rev. John bummer, rector of Hard wick, Bucks, by Mrs. Crabbe. of Highfield, Charles Twy-nam, of Portswood, and by George Alexander Fullerton esq. of Westwood, who, in 1847, gave ^360 in 3 per cent. Consols. The parochial charities of the ancient parish of South Stoneham are now administered by trustees appointed by the daughter parishes, viz. : Hedgend, Westend and Bitterne, in addition to one appointed by the Parish Council of South Stoneham. South Stoneham House is a mansion of red brick with stone dressings, erected during the reign of Queen Anne, and is pleasantly seated in grounds no acres in extent with 5 acres of water. Tankerville Chamberlayne esq. b.a. of Cranbury Park, Winchester, the trustees of the late Thomas Willis-Fleming esq. Col. Frank Willan j.p. of Barley Manor, Ring-wood, Messrs. John Gater & Co., Miss Covey and Queen's College, Oxford, are the principal landowners. The chief crops are
■private residents.
Adnams Silas, 6 Fleming road Archer Mrs. 2 Child's cottages, High road Bailey Mrs. 4 Fleming road Baird William, 67 Station road Balson Mrs. Rockclose villa, Park road Barnes Albert, 4 Beulah terrace, Hiizh road Barraclough A. Iranistan, High road Baxter David, Park villa, High road Bealing C. J. Elm villa, Burgess street
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS