Persistent identifier:
00660472
image: of 485
3^0 march wood,
neighbourhood of southampton.
Post k Monkt Order Office, Savings Bank & Telegraph Office.—Mrs. Jones, postmistress. Letters received from Southampton at 5 & 2.30 p.m.; des-r patched at 1.5 & 8.40 p.m
Bessant John Bliss Richard L
Bonus Lieut. W. March-wood magazine Budden William, Wyatt cottage Coghlan Rev. Charles Lambert m.a. Vicarage Hepworth Miss, Woodside Hughes Mrs. Woodside Pyne Capt. J. C. March-wood magazine Rov William Gascoigne, Byams house Triscott Major J. R. (ordnance officer in charge), Marchwood magazine
commercial.
Atkins George, canteeneer Bacon Edward Hotson, grocer Bartlett Thomas, farmer, Bury farm Blake Vincent, blacksmith Browning Henry, farmer, Manor farm Drake Mark, farmer Eldridge Frederick George, farmer
National School, built in 1844, for 200 children; average attendance, 137 ; James Charles Dedman, master; Mrs. Dedman, mistress
Ghey Sampson, farmer, Birchland farm
Harvey George, Bold Forester p.h
Hayward James, smith
Horseman Robert, nurseryman
Jenkins John, coast guard station
Jones Mrs. grocer & postmistress
Kingham Peter, White Horse p.h
Miller Edward Alfred, coffee house
Norris Charles, wood dealer
Padget William, jun. gardener
Pearce Charles, beer retailer, Pooks green
Peckham Gaius, farmer
Philpot Henrietta(Mrs.),farmer,Tomlin's frm
Pbilpot Stephen, farmer, Malt house
Roe Jesse, farmer
Sopp George, farmer
Smith Clement, Ship p.h
Stone Silas, wheelwright
Wells Charles, boot & shoe maker
Wheatley Albert, carman
MERRYOAK, see St. Mahy Extra.
MILLBROOK is a parish, village and station on the Southampton and Dorchester branch of the South Western railway, at the head of the Southampton Water, in the Southern division of the county, Mains-bridge hundred, South Stoneham union, Southampton petty sessional division and county court district,rural deanery of Southampton and archdeaconry and diocese of Winchester, 2 miles west-north-west from Southampton. The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1874 as the parish church, in place of the church of St. Nicholas, is a handsome structure, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, with aisles, nave aisles, and a tower of red Farleigh stone, with spire 150 feet in height, from the designs of Mr. Woodyer, architect; the stained east window illustrates the Te Deum; a series of windows on the north side was given by the late Mrs. E. Best, of Millbrook there are some smaller, but richly executed windows, in the south side of the church; all are by Messrs. Hardman: there are 700 sittings, all free. The register dates from the year 1633. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £484, net yearly value £245, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1866 by the Rev. Alexander Colvin Blunt m.a. of Christ Church. Oxford, rural dean of Southampton, and surrogate. The church of St. Nicholas is a
S&in structure, in the Early English style, nesting of chancel, nave, erected in 1829,
and an ancient embattled tower containing 1 bell: this church has sittings for about 750 persons, and is now used as a chapel of ease. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Wimpson. The charities left by the Rev. W. Harvest, Mrs. 8. Pollock, W. Spinks esq. Mrs. Mary Baker and W. Ross esq. are now (1887) of £Z6 yearly value: these charities are available for the parishes of Millbrook, Shirley and Freemantle. The SouthHantsWaterWorksCompany, which has its offices in this parish, was established in 1876, under an Act 39 and 40 Victoria, for the purpose of supplying water to the town of Romsey and surrounding districts and to the populous suburbs of Southampton; the water is drawn from two wells sunk in the chalk in the parish of Timsbury. A court is held annually at " the Ship," Redbridge, by Mrs. Vaudrey, of Langley Manor, Colbury, who is the lady of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is good loam ; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are market garden produce. The area is 3,014 acres of land and 854 of water and foreshore; rateable value, ^62,507. The population of the parish of Millbrook, which includes Freemantle, Redbridge and Shirley (which will be found under separate headings), was 15,054 in 1881.
Parish Clerk, Charles Bush.
Post Office.—John Shephard, receiver.
Letters arrive from Southampton at 3.15
a.m. & 2 p.m. ; delivered at 7 a.m. & i
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS