Persistent identifier:
00660472
image: of 485
kelly's directory of southampton.
length of quay, with a depth of 20 feet at low water; a close dock of 10 acres, depth of water 28 feet ; and four dry docks, the dimensions uf which are as follows :—
Length,from \ No. 1, 400 ; No. 2, 201 ; No. 3. gates to head J 523; No. 4, 478 feet.
Length on i No. 1, 396 ; No. 2, 251 ; No. 3,
blocks......) 500; No.4, 450 feet.
Width of I No. 1, 66 ; No. 2, 51 ; No. 3,
gates ......j 80 ; No. 4, 56 feet.
Depth of wa-"j
No. 1, 21 ; No. 2, 15 ; No. 3, 25 ; No. 4, 25 feet.
No. 2, 11 ; No. 3, 4, 21 feet.
ter over blocks at spring tides _
Depth of wa-")
ter over [No. 1, 17 ;
blocks at f 21 ; No.
neap tides J
A new deep water open dock is being con structed, which will have 26 feet of water at low water spring tides.
The greatly improved railway services between Manchester and other large centres and Southampton Docks, enable goods leaving Manchester by the evening trains to be, as a rule, in time for shipment at the docks early on the following morning, and on the same terms as at the London docks : powerful steam machinery is erected at the leading berths for rapidly lifting and shifting large and bulky articles : cargoes of every description are landed and warehoused, or forwarded by rail with great expedition ; and perfect communication is maintained by rail from the dock quays and warehouses to the metropolis and to the manufacturing districts generally : all the principal railway companies have representatives and agencies stationed near the docks, and large first-class steam vessels arrive from and depart to the Continent almost daily. The quays have extensive bonded and free warehouses for every description of valuable merchandise, and below these are spacious vaults for wines and spirits ; there are also sheds approved by H.M. Customs office for cargoes in transit, and ample convenience for the storing and quick delivery of grain and timber, and approved accommodation is provided fop the cattle trade with foreign parts and the Channel Islands.
The Dock Company have a complete system of railways throughout the dock property, extending to all the quays, and into and alongside each warehouse, connecting these with the London and South Western railway, and worked by their own locornotive engines: railway trucks pass direct between the docks and every railway in the kingdom.
The offices of the Dock Company are at 19
south.
Bishopsgate street within, London ; and Dock House, Southampton. All communications as to rates and on dock business should be addressed to the Secretary and Superintendent at Southampton.
The Royal Victoria Pier, which projects into the estuary from the south-west angle of the quays in a slightly, curved line, is a structure of wood, 1,000 feet in length and 36 in breadth, and is accessible for steam vessels at all periods of the tide : the town quay, facing the end of High street, is a more extensive structure.
Steam navigation has added considerably to the importance of Southampton, whence passengers embark for the Isle of Wight, Jersey, Guernsey, The Clyde, Dublin, Falmouth, London, Plymouth, St. Malo, Granville, Havre, to all parts of the Mediterranean, the Peninsula and the East and West Indies, Australia, Brazil, River Plate, the Pacific p and steamers run from hence to New York and Bremen. The trade of Southampton is very considerable, particularly with the Baltic, America, Portugal and the Channel Islands.
The new uniform system of buoyage in the harbour has been adopted at this port. The depth of water, according to recent survey, has increased several feet within a century.
Southampton comprises the parishes of AH Saints, Holy Rood, St. John, St. Lawrence, St. Mary and St. Michael, all in the rural! deanery of Southampton and archdeaconry and diocese of Winchester: the parishes aree united under a local Act for the purposes connected with the relief of the poor and! called the Southampton Incorporation.
The church of St. Mary, in the street of that name, was erected in 1879-84, in place of the old parish church, which was partially removed in 1878, and as a memorial to the late Bishop Wilberforce, father of the present rector : it is a building of stone in the Early English style, from designs by the late G. Street esq. r.a. and consists of chancel of two bays, with aisles, transepts, nave of five bays, with aisles, a spacious baptistery, and an incomplete 1 ower. The church stands on the site of an earlier church dating from the eleventh century, and was opened as far as then completed in May, 1884; one section having been previously consecrated 19th June, 1879 : the baptistery is adorned with marbles and contains marble fonts both for infant and adult baptism: all the windows are stained, and an organ has been erected at a cost of ,£1,300. The cost of the building up tp 1884 had been about £25,090, about.
1*
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS