Persistent identifier:
image: of 373
The Hampshire Advertiser newspaper established.—A steamer (the Medina) made the first trip from Southampton to the Channel Islands.
1823. Zion Chapel built.—-The Dispensary established.—The Military Asylum converted into an establishment for orphan girls of soldiers.
1824. The first company formed to run steamers between Southampton and the Channel Islands.—The number of houses, 2537.
1826. The carriage of Henry the Eighth's gun presented to the corporation by J. W. Fleming, Esq.
1827. The Hants Picture Gallery established.—Robert Pollok, the author of " The Course of Time," died on Shirley Common.—Holy Trinity Chapel built.
1828. The County Female Penitentiary established.—Duties received at the port, £72,187.
1829. St. Paul's Chapel built.—Duties received at the port, £82,633.
1830. Ships inwards from foreign ports, 356, tonnage, 35,199; outwards, ships 205, tonnage, 18,242. Inwards, coastwise, 940; tonnage, 45,314; outwards, J 238; tonnage, 52,928. Ships belonging to the port, 195 ; tonnage, 8296.— July 15. Foundation stone of Westlake's corn store laid.— The Roman Catholic Chapel built.—March 22. Mechanics* Institution established.
1831. The'population am&unted'to 19,324.—Number of houses, 3189.— Number of votersf4023.
1832. Red Lion Square changed to Pembroke Square.—An Act of Parliament passed for erecting and maintaining a pier and other works, for the more conveniently landing and embarking passengers in the port of Southampton.—The Royal Victoria Pier erected.
1833. The Royal Victoria Assemb^R^^^]^il^
1834. The Irvingite Chapel bmlt.—Tne Post-office establishment remodelled and enlarged.—Three letter-receiving houses established.—The Itchen Floating Bridge Company incorporated by Act of Parliament.— May. Hampshire Bank established.—The Medical Society instituted.
1835. The Commercial Steam Packet Company formed.—The Hampshire Independent newspaper established.—The Municipal Government altered,—December 19. South of England Steam Navigation Company established.—June 5. The guns on the Platform presented to the town.
1836. The Itchen Floating Bridge commenced running, and the old Itchen Ferry'superseded.—The Dock Company incorporated by Act of Parliament.—The police force introduced.—Building commenced at Susses Place.
September 6, 1837. The Post-office establishment removed from French-street to Hanover Buildings—November 7. A destructive fire took place at the stores of Messrs. King and Witt, eminent merchants, at which twenty-two persons, consisting principally of young men belonging to the town, perished in attempting to rescue property from the conflagration.
1838. The South Hants Infirmary established.—The Artesian Well commenced.—The branch of the National Provincial Bank established.— October 12. The first stone of the Southampton Docks laid.
VLetd/icr $ Co., Printers.
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS