PP/GC/LE/85 Letter from Sir G.C.Lewis to Henry John Temple, third Viscount Palmerston, regarding an offer of works of art to the National Gallery, 1 November [1856]
Letter from Sir George Cornewall Lewis, second Baronet, [Chancellor of the Exchequer], Harpton [Court, Radnorshire, Wales], to Henry John Temple, third Viscount Palmerston: there is a difficulty in accepting Mr ?Shipshank's offer when the question of moving the National Gallery to Kensington Gore is pending. It might be seen as a contrivance to influence the decision. As he wishes his collection to be distinct from that of the National Gallery, however, the offer could be accepted. His letter should be found so that the precise words of the offer might be seen. Bowring estimates that the building at Kensington Gore will be ready at the beginning of 1857. "We are in a very uncomfortable state about the various picture questions. Everything is in abeyance, and we cannot move - our position is like that of the magazines at Balaclava, [Crimea, Russia]." 1 Nov [1856]
One paper
All images are copyright. Please contact Archives@soton.ac.uk if you wish to reproduce this material
Edgar Bowring, Member of Parliament for Bolton, Secretary to the Royal Commission for the 1851 Exhibition
Kensington Gore, London
Balaclava, Crimea, Russia
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS