Persistent identifier:
73057763
image: of 50
6
SOUTHAMPTON :
—ancl on the three faces of the pedestal the following inscriptions which sufficiently explain the object of the memorial:—
" As a permanent record of private worth and to honour a career of public usefulness, the fellow-townsmen of Richard Andrews, five times Mayor of Southampton, have united to raise this tribute to his memory."
" Richard Andrews was a man who, starting in the race of life from small beginnings, achieved by the force of his own genius solid triumphs, civic rank, popularity, and fame, the rewards of industry, public spirit, and hospitality."
" The life of Richard Andrews teaches this lesson—that the merit of a man is in himself, not in his calling. He may be engaged in trade, yet be great; he may have worn the apron of an artizan, yet live to win a patriot's monument."
In the corresponding Parle, crossing the upper part of Above Bar Street, is another monument, in Sicilian marble, commemorating Dr. Isaac Watts, as the following inscription shows :—
A.D. 1861.
"Erected by voluntary contributions in memory of Isaac "Watts, D.D., a native of Southampton ; born 1674, died 1748. An example of the talents of a large and liberal mind wholly devoted to the promotion of piety, virtue, and literature. A name honoured for his sacred hymns wherever the English language extends. Especially the friend of children and of youth, for whose best welfare he laboured well and wisely, without thought of fame or gain."
This, with the verse beginning " Prom all that dwell below the skies," and three bas-reliefs representing Watts as a teacher of children, as a student lifting " his waiting eyes to heaven," and as engaged in astronomical calculations compose the four faces of the pedestal.
Prom these Parks two pleasant landscapes are to be seen. Prom the East, or Andrews's Park, with the Scotch Presbyterian Church at the left, we overlook the docks and terminus, the greater portion of the parish of St. Mary, containing the principal part of the working inhabitants of the borough, St. Mary's Church, the Poor-house, the Borough Gaol, Albion (Congregational) Chapel, and the central Wesleyan Chapel. Prom the West, or Watts' Park—the picturesque church on the right being St. Peter's, with Kingsfield (Congregational) Chapel and the Savings' Bank adjoining in the foreground—we have a view of the river, with the Marchwood gunpowder magazines on its bank and the New Porest beyond. Pursuing our course up the High Street—passing on the right St. Paul's Episcopal Church, and the Unitarian and Baptist Chapels, the last-mentioned founded by the Rev. James Spurgeon, brother of the celebrated C. H. Spurgeon, during his pastorate here—we reach the Ordnance Survey Office, a misnomer, by the way, arising out of the Survey having been originally under the now defunct Board of Ordnance.
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS