Persistent identifier:
73057763
image: of 50
4 SOUTHAMPTON :
importance of the Courts at Portsmouth induced their secession and the formation in 1852 of the Portsmouth District. The Directory of the Order for 1853, issued by the 19th E.G., Southampton, shows that the South-Western then comprised 34 Courts with 2,327 Members ; and the Portsmouth District 7 Courts and 448 Members. The West Sussex District and the Weymouth District have since been formed from outlying Courts of the old Southwestern. The Order has progressed greatly since the holding of the first Southampton H. C. M. in 1853, and the two principal Districts of Hampshire have shown that they have shared in that progress, the present Directory giving the South-Western District 85 Courts and 11,810 Members; and the Portsmouth District 17 Courts and 2,532 Members. Of the Nineteenth Executive Council, located here 22 years ago. only three of its Members now reside in the town, namely, Brother S. P. Greemvay, P.H.C.S., whose Portrait and Memorial appear in the present number of the Miscellany, and Brother A. C. Harrindaile, P.H.C.J.B., who holds ail appointment under the Corporation of the Borough, and Bro. Henry Petty, P.H.C.S.W."
Distant from London less than 80 miles, and built on a point of land formed in the Southampton Water by the confluence of the rivers Itchen and Test, sheltered from the occasional turbulence of the English Channel by the Isle of Wight, surrounded by beautiful woodlands on moderate eminences, possessing a remarkably soft and genial climate, and enjoying from its noble river, two miles in width and more, through Spithead and the Solent, a double high water two hours after the first tidal wave washes our shores twice daily, its beauty for situation is ensured, whatever changes the whirligig of time may bring about in respect to its present commercial activity and importance as the principal mail packet station of England, the gateway to the Channel Islands, Normandy, and Brittany, and an extensively patronized port of call for steam ships trading to all parts of the world.
ITINERARY.
The visitor who arrives in the town by railway will find the terminus built on land reclaimed from the sea within living memory, the Corporation taking it under the charter granted them by Henry II. as far as low water mark. The Docks are immediately adjacent to the station. By Oxford Street, facing the terminus entrance, through Bridge Street, we gain the High Street, which Iceland described as in his time " the finest street of any town in
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS