Persistent identifier:
73057763
image: of 50
28
SOUTHAMPTON :
who resided in Southampton in 1545, as noticed by Leland in the following terms :—" The house that Master Lighster, chiefe Barne of the King's Escheker, dwellyth yn, is very fair." He made his will here, in October, 1552, died here on the 14th of March, 1553-4, and that lie was interred in St. Michael's Church three days afterwards is shewn by the following entry in the old register: —"1553. The xvii day of March, Syr Rychard Lyster Knight, was buryde." Lord Chancellor Wriothesley was first buried in the Church of St. Andrew's, Holborn, and his body subsequently removed to Titclifield, some eight miles from this town. In this church the mayor was formerly sworn into office, and it was customary for a sermon to be preached by the minister of the parish, who received a guinea therefor, but in 1677 an order is entered in the Corporation journals that because Mr. Butler had abused the Corporation in the swearing-in sermon there should be no sermon at the swearing of the Mayor, who might for that purpose go to what church he pleased—an order repeated in 1691. The custom has since fallen into desuetude.
The ancient timber-gabled house in St. Michael's Square is the reputed residence of Henry VIII. and Anne Boleyn; the Roman Catholic Church is just opposite ; and not far below is the Masonic hall of the town. On the south side of St. Michael's Square the Roman Catholic schools occupy what is believed to be the site of the ancient woollen hall of the port. Returning to the east end of St. Michael's Church, a few paces down French-street, the building forming three sides of a quadrangle known as Hampton Court occupies the site of Little St. Denis and of St. Mary Magdalene's hospital for Lepers, founded about 1100. Close to this is the birthplace of Dr. Watts. A little below is the Theatre, and nearly opposite the site of St. John's Church, one of the four in Henry II. s grant, Falling into ruin, the ground was converted into a burial place and the parish united to that of St.Lawrencein 1705 . Retracing our steps to the High-street, the first church on the right above Holy Rood is St. Lawrence, a modern structure in the Early English style, %pon an old foundation.
The building at the corner of East-street, having more the appearance of a theatre than a church, is All Saints (another of the original four ecclesiastical foundations of Henry II.'s charter) built towards the close of the last century, and celebrated for its slightly curved roof of 61 feet span from wall to wall bv 95 feet in length without any supporting pillars—a bold experiment for that tune Admiral Carteret, the circumnavigator, and^Bryan Edward, author, of a history of the West Indies, rest in the catacombs here.
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS