Persistent identifier:
73057763
image: of 50
ad
SOUTHAMPTON :
take care to rescue from oblivion before all traces even of modern arrangements are forgotten. Sufficient here to say that in the time of Elizabeth—if not earlier—the chapel was assigned as a place of worship to those who had taken refuge in Southampton from the tyranny of the Spanish Inquisition and the persecution of the Walloon Protestants. In 1683, consequent upon a complaint by the magistrates of the town that English dissenters mode the chapel a kind of asylum to protect them from the laws against Nonconformity, and that people of the better sort in Guernsey and Jersey had complained that their countrymen were here prejudiced against the Liturgy, it was ordered that the Liturgy of the Church of England be here used in French as at the Savoy in London ; and according to the ritual of the English Church divine service continues this day to be performed in the French language only.
Just in the rear of God's House premises, occupying the site of Gloucester-square and an adjoining large store, was a convent of Grey Friars founded in 1280, of which no traces now remain.
Passing up the High-street, a few paces bring us to the Hartley Institution, founded upon what came to the town from a bequest by Henry Eobinson Hartley, who died in France in 1850. Questions having been raised concerning his domicile and the interpretation to be placed on his will, the £89,000 which his estate realised was by litigation in Chancery and payments to next of kin reduced to £42,525. With this the Corporation erected the present buildings, and upon the balance of capital invested, supplemented by half-guinea subscriptions, a reading room and library are now open free to the public every evening. Classes in science and art are also conducted here.
Nearly opposite, facing the General Post Office, is the Audit House, built towards the close of the last century as the public offices of the town. The Council Chamber is a fine room, containing several portraits and valuable pictures, and reproductions of the old town charters, with a long list of mayors. The Corporation insignia includes six maces, the most curious of which, assigned to the time of Henry VII., is the one that was carried before the mayoress in procession on public occasions, as before referred to. A silver oar forms the badge of the mayor's jurisdiction as Admiral of the port; and a sword of State, near the mayor's chair, is both ancient and curious. It is one of the two-handed weapons of our ancestors, with a fine blade 4ft. 4in. in length and Bin. in width; the guard, which is of iron (now gilt), and the hilt are each a foot and a half long, and there is a large iron pommel. In time of
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS