Persistent identifier:
61031975
image: of 121





MATE'S HANDBOOK TO SOUTHAMPTON.
Fountain Court, from a fountain which was formerly placed' there. To the north is the wall of the south aisle of the church ; to the east is the south transept and the three lovely arches which is screened off the chapter house from the cloisters. Above was the monastic dormitory, and on the south side of the cloister may be seen remains of the lavatory.. The ruined church must have been simply glorious in its-completed beauty, whilst high above the woods rose its central tower, most useful as a sea mark. We enter, in succession,, the south transept, the sacristy, and the chapter house with its three beautiful open arches. A passage or slype leads to the Abbot's House, and on the right is the Monk's Day Room, which is commonly styled the refectory. The so-called kitchen was in reality the monks calefactory and garbe-robe. It contains a damaged but very fine thirteenth century fireplace.. What is probably the Abbot's House is a detached building. The gardens were evidently extensive, and a moat surrounded the whole Abbey. The two large fishponds still exist, enclosed within private grounds. At the Reformation the site and manor were granted to the Marquis of Winchester. From him they passed to the Earl of Hertford, who entertained Queen Elizabeth here in 1560. About the year 1700, a Southampton builder named Taylor bought the Church, which was then intact, and began to pull it down for the sake of the materials. He died from the combined effects of a falling stone, of which a dream had warned him, and of an unskilled surgeon. T. Chamberlayne, Esq., of Cranbury Park, the present owner has done much to preserve the ruins. Netley has often inspired painters and poets. Grey wrote of it in prose, and Bowles in verse. Keate wrote his Elegy on the ruins in 1760. Some Abbey relics are preserved in the beautiful modern church of St. Edward hard by.
The old parish church of Hound boasts one of the largest churchyard yews in the county. Many soldiers who died in the camps upon the neighbouring heaths and commons during the last French war are buried at Hound.
Of Netley Castle, the Royal Victoria Hospital, pleasant Hamble, Bursledon and Swanwick we have already spoken.
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS