Persistent identifier:
61031975
image: of 121
mate's handbook to southampton.
" A solitary fragment of grey ruined wall on the right bank of the Itchen, about three miles above the present Dock entrance, is the sole relic of St. Deny's Priory, a house of Black Canons of St. Augustine, founded by King Henry I., about the year 1124, or at all events between the date of the consecration of Archbishop William de Corbeuil, in February, 1122-3, and the death of William de Gifford, Bishop of Winchester, in January, 1128-9. . . . King Henry II. granted to the Priory his Chapels within the Borough, St. Michael, St. Cross (Holy Rood), St. Lawrence, and All Saints, with all that belonged to them. Other grants were subsequently made to the Priory and its Canons. In the " Valor" of 1536, the revenue of the Priory is given as £91 9s., with a net income of £80 lis. 6d. These figures must be multiplied by ten to represent modern values. A few relics of the Priory are preserved in the Hartley Museum.
Again proceeding up the river, which is here very picturesque, we pass the large red brick Cobden Bridge Brewery (Messrs. Complin). Who knows not fair Woodmill, famous alike for its salmon and its scenery, as well as for the large business done there ? It was at Woodmill that Mr. Taylor invented the circular saw, receiving a visit from George III. and Oueen Charlotte in consequence. Boats are here carried across the road and re-launched upon " the old barge river." Another mile brings the oarsman to the White Swan Inn, at West End: well, and favourably known alike to the angler and to the tourist. But the tide has turned, and we must return with it to Southampton.
Round and About Southampton.
The Avenue, which commences at the Ordnance Office, and extends for some three miles towards Winchester, is famous as being one of the finest thoroughfares in south-west England. It is probably of Roman origin, and led to a ford crossing the river to Clausentum. The planting of the trees was begun in 1744-5, and has been continued at intervals. Some of them were planted to commemorate the battle Culloden, which was fought on April 16th, 1746. Many of the older trees, however, were destroyed some years ago by the action of the boring beetle (Scolytus destructor), which devoured the inner bark. They have been carefully replaced, as Southampton is justly proud of her noble Avenue.
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS