Persistent identifier:
59938745
image: of 215
39
a Gallery for the exhibition and study of Works of Art; and a series of Class Booms. A considerable portion of the building has been erected under the supervision of the Government Department of Science and Art, under whose inspection the Classes in Science and Art are placed.
The educational work of the Institution is organised in four Departments, viz :—General Literature and Science; Engineering and Technical Science J Preliminary Medical Education; and Art.
Information as to the Classes and fees may be obtain-from the Librarian.
The Institution is under the management of an independent governing body called the Hartley Council.
THE AUDIT HOUSE
Which is higher up on the left, was built in 1771, to replace one which stood in the middle of the High-street opposite Holy Rhood Church. The front, of the Doric order, is executed in Portland Stone. The ground floor of this building was until recently occupied as a poultry and meat market, but more space being required for transacting the business of the town, the whole of the building together with the adjoining property was, some time since, converted into Municipal Offices.
The fish market which was in the rear has been still preserved, and is accessible from Erench-street.
In the Council Chamber on the first floor are kept the civic regalia, consisting of corporate insignia, six maces, and in particular a silver oar, typifying the extensive maritime jurisdiction formerly possessed by Southampton, which well merit an examination.
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS