Persistent identifier:
59938745
image: of 215
37
Entering the High-street from the Quays, there will be observed at the back of the Castle Inn, the Chamber of Commerce, and leading to the foot of French-street a short street called Poetee's Lane, in which are the remains of a twelfth-century house, now almost swept away, known as Canute's Palace.
On the right, at the back of the Sun Inn, and leading to the Platform through the South Gate, is ■Winkle-street, in which are God's House Hospital and Chapel.
GOD'S HOUSE HOSPITAL AND CHAPEL
"Were foundedby GervaiseleRiche in the reign of Eichard L, and given to Queen's College by Edward III. Approaching it through the narrow and dark lane of Winkle-street, its high gate tower, surmounted by an ancient cross, and the side of the Chapel, form a pleasing composition -with the tower and archway of the South Gate, which closes the street and just admits a glimpse of the Platform. On entering the court to the left, the building which has been transformed into modern Tudor, though not so occupied, is the parsonage of Holy Rhood Parish; but the ancient dwellings of the Hospital were to the right, shrouded in trees and shrubs. They were low, with ceuples of small square-headed tressel windows, but were replaced in 1861 by two blocks of comfortable dwellings, built of red brick, with stone dressings. The Chapel was much disfigured and mutilated with fragments of various styles. The prevailing one was that of Norman Transition into Early Pointed, and in its restoration, which was effected about the same time, the whole was finished in harmony with it. It was in this Chapel that the Earl of Cambridge, Lord Scrope, and Sir T. Grey, who conspired to murder Henry Y. in 1415, were buried, after their summary execution in this town (p. 11) ; and a modern tablet is erected here, to commemorate the event. The Chapel
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS