Persistent identifier:
image: of 215
These, which are the old Assembly Rooms, are opposite the Arcade; they are very large, and interiorly of elegant design.
A little beyond this the road is blocked by a large projecting mass of the old fortifications, now odiously masked by the tile roof, plaster, whitewash, modern windows, and large letter inscriptions of a public-house. Between the corner of this building and the end of the Arcade formerly stood
Opening into Simnel-street, which is still marked by remains of many old houses. Some of these contain interesting pieces of architecture, and one in particular has a cellar like the kitchen of Netley Abbey. The class of persons who thickly inhabit this locality, however, preclude the enjoyment of these relics by the majority of visitors. Hence also a narrow paved alley, called Castle-lane, leads up to the site of
Once a noble specimen of the British citadel, and held ^ as a royal fortress by King Stephen, but wantonly destroyed in the last fifty years (seepage 18). The Keep tower was planned similarly to that of Oorfe Castle in Dorset, as a square, with flank towers on tbe west and north. Passing up Castle-square, and turning up a lane on the right, the Keep mound, though much lowered, will be found occupied by Zion Chapel, a building which is now the head quarters of the Salvation Army. Returning to the Square, on the left appears the County Couet, a neat structure built in 1858, and at its S.E. angle a part of the Castle wall, which was built on arches' Passing over the site of the gateway, and then turning to the left again into Albion-place, another portion of .the wall-will be seen, at its junction with the t©wh which formed the west side of the enclosure.
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS