Persistent identifier:
52110739
image: of 194
´╗┐THE FRENCH CHURCH IN SOUTHAMPTON.
71
at the time when the verdict was given against the conspirators. A tablet to their memory was placed on the North Wall of the Chapel by John Lord Delawarr, who died in 1766.
(ii) Thirty years later, in 1445, when Southampton was incorporated, the town welcomed Margaret of Anjou, the bride of King Henry VI. She arrived in great state from Portsmouth by water on April 10th, and lodged in the Hospital of God's House. While there she was taken ill and did not meet the king until four days later, when she was admitted to his presence at Titchfield where he was then residing. She was there married to him on April 22nd, by the Bishop of Salisbury, and was crowned at Westminster in the following month.
The buildings of the Hospital of St. Julian are arranged as a quadrangle of which the Chapel and the Gate-tower form the Southern side, the residence of the Brethren and of the Sisters the Eastern and Northern sides, while the residence of the Chaplain completes the quadrangle on the West.
Until the year 1861 the Chapel and the domestic buildings retained their ancient character. In that year however, under the unhappy plea of " restoration," their antiquarian interest disappeared. The old residences were ruthlessly demolished and the Chapel so modernized that the Chancel arch remains as the only trace of original work. The ancient Gate-tower was entirely remodelled.
II.
(THE WALLOON AND HUGUENOT SETTLEMENT AT SOUTHAMPTON).
Having briefly considered the origin and history of the Hospital of St. Julian or God's House during the years preceding the Reformation it will now be of interest to note its association with those foreign Refugees, or " Strangers " as they were termed, who made England their home in the 16th and 17th Centuries.
Among the earliest settlements of Protestant Refugees from Flanders and from France were those in London, Norwich, Canterbury and Southampton. Other Congregations were formed at Sandwich, Rye, Winchelsea, Maidstone, Yarmouth, Colchester, Stamford and Thetford in the East of England; at Dartmouth, Plymouth and Stonehouse in the South, and at Exeter, Barnstable and Bristol in the West.
The records and registers of each of these settlements still remain, but the most ancient of them all are those of Southampton. They commence in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, in 1567, and continue until 1797, thus embracing a period of 230 years.
In the year 1567, a petition was presented to the Corporation of Southampton by a body of Refugees who state that Queen Elizabeth had favourably entertained their suit, and that they have no other wish than to be permitted to remain. They add " Shee appointed
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS