Persistent identifier:
00660475
image: of 1359
968
White J. S. & Son
EASTLEIGH DIRECTORY.
1
6-SON:
Coke, Merchant
4- TWYFQRD RD.EASTLEIGH.TEL. 87323 | & 163 HURSLEY RD. CHANDLERS FORD TEL. CHANDLERS FORD 2088
White Edwin, Crown hotel, 26 Station hill,
Southampton rd White Ronald C. solctr. (firm, White, Brooks & Gilman), Lloyds Bank chmbrs. Leigh rd
Whitehouse I. & Son, shopkprs. & post office
53, & greengros. 67, Twyford rd Wilding B. H. & Sons, ironmngrs. 73 High st Wilkinson Harry Geo. insur. agt. 32 , Ruskin rd
Williams Arth. Jn. hairdrssr. 12a, Derby rd Williams Thos. Herbt. Jn. B.M., B.Ch. physcn. & surgn. 24 Romsey rd
WILLSHER EDWIN J. F.
family grocer & provision mer. 149 Pass-field av. Tel. Eastleigh 87349 Wilson A. & Son, bakers, The Bakery, All-
brook hill, Allbrook Wilson Geo. shopkpr. 2 Doncaster rd Withers Arnold Ernest, tobccnst. 37 Market st
Women's Voluntary Services (Mrs. E. B. M. Moore J.P. organizer), 12 High st
WOOD J. R. & CO. LIMITED,
coal mers. 2 Station hill, Southampton rd. Tel. No. 87127 •
Woodward L. H. M. (Mrs.), corsetiere, 2 Des-
borough rd Wooldridge Daisy E. (Miss), confctnr. 79 Market st
Woolworth F. W. & Co. Ltd. departmental • stores, 19 & 21 Leigh rd Wyatt & Sons, lawn mower reprs. Factory rd Wyeth & Sons, butchers, 36 High st Youatt J as. confctnr. 272 Market st Youth Employment Bureau (Hampshire Education Committee) (M. Hinsley, youth employment officer), 22 Station hill, Southampton rd Zip French Cleaners Ltd. dyers & cleaners,
41a, Market st Zona Shoes, boot & shoe d'lrs. 59 Market st
ELING & TOTTON, an extensive
parish in the New Forest parliamentary division, near the head of Southampton Water, on the western side, one mile south from Totton railway station, 5 miles west from Southampton, 6£ south from Romsey and 86 from London, in the hundred of Redbridge, New Forest petty sessional division, Southampton county court district, rural deanery of Lyndhurst. archdeaconry and diocese of Winchester. There were five ecclesiastical parishes formed out of Eling, viz.: Eling, North Eling (also called Copythorne), Netley Marsh, Marchwood and Colbury. These were constituted separate civil parishes by an Order of the Hampshire County Council, in September, 1893. which was confirmed by an Order of the Local Government Board in 1894. Under the Southampton (Eling, Colbury, Copythorne, Denny Lodge and Netley Marsh) Confirmation Order, 1934, the civil parish of Colbury was abolished and part was transferred to the parish of Eling; part of the parish of Netley Marsh was also transferred to this parish. Eling parish contains Eling, Calmore, Totton and Ashurst. Water is supplied by the Southampton Corporation. The church of St. Mary is situated upon a spur of Eling hill and overlooks Southampton Water. Traces of its Saxon construction are seen in the arches of the north and south aisles, in the north windows of the sanctuary and the outer buttresses of the north wall; in 1865 the chancel, south aisle
and the greater portion of the nave were rebuilt in the Early English style, and since 1870 the interior has been thoroughly restored and reseated: in the tower is a set of six bells with quaint inscriptions. The altar piece consists of a large painting of the Last Supper by Marziale, c. 1500. The church affords 450 sittings. A lych gate was erected in 1901 as a memorial of the coronation of King Edward VII. The registers, which are very voluminous and in excellent preservation, date back to 1537. The living is a vicarage, with Totton annexed, with residence. It is in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and has been held since 1951 by the Rev. Alfred Carlos Fletcher M.A. of Durham University.
iCOLBURY, formerly a tithing and ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1872 from the civil parish of Eling, was a separate civil parish constituted under Section 57 of the Local Government Act, 1888 (51 and 52 Vict, c. 41), in September, 1893, by an Order of the Hampshire County Council, which was confirmed by an Order of the Local Government Board in July, 1894. Under the Southampton (Eling, Colbury, Copythorne, Denny Lodge and Netley Marsh) Confirmation Order, 1934, the civil parish was abolished and part was transferred to the parish of Eling and part (Longdown) to the parish of. Denny Lodge. It is 1 mile from Lyndhurst Road railway station, 1$ mil?3
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS