Persistent identifier:
00660474
image: of 1194
A 22
SOUTHAMPTON DIRECTORY.

The church of St. Nicolas was probably rebuilt . during' the 13th centuiry : and . completed in the 15th century; the oddest part is the low embattled tower, in the Early English style; it has a one-handed clock and 10 bells: the church was restored in 1891, and contains 300 sittings. A vestry was added in 1901. The register dates from the year 1640. The living is a rectory, and is in the gift of J. E. A. Willis-Fleming esq-. D.L., J.P. "and has been held since 1946 by the Rev. John Robert Shuckburgh Stranack M;C., M.A. of Oriel College, Oxford. Population in 1931 of the ecclesiastical parish was 4,023. "
SOUTH STONEHAM is situated on both sides of the Itchen valley. In 1895, under the Southampton Borough Extension Act of that year, part of South Stoneham, together with Partswood and a part of Bittern e, were formed into a civil parish under the name of Ports wood. By Local Government Board Order No. 37,196, which came into operation on April 1, 1898, a part of South Stoneham was added to the civil parish and Urban District of Eastleigh. In 1920 the civil parish of Bitterne and parts of the parishes of South Stoneham and North Stoneham were included in the • borough of Southampton. These areas now farm part of the parish of Southampton. South Stoneham is in the Winchester parliamentary division of the County of Hants, Mainsbridge hundred, petty sessional division, county court district and truraJl deanery of Southampton and archdeaconry and diocese of Winchester. There is no village of South Stoneham, the cliuirch and two or three adjacent houses being situated near the vUllage of SwaytMing, which is mostly in this but partly in North Stoneham parish, and is situated on the western bank of the. river Itchen* and has a station called Swaythling. South Stoneham parish also contains parts of the tithirigs of Allington, Barton, Pollock and Shamble-hurst; The church of St. Mary, at Swaythling, usually known as South ,Stoneham Church, is a small and ancient edifice of stone in the Transitional style, consisting of a chancel, nave, transepts and an embattled western tower "with 3 bells. There are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1663. The living is a vicarage. It is in the gift of the rector of St. Mary, Southampton, and has been held since 1916 by the Rev. Colin R. Macbeth M.A. The old , burial "ground for the parish is now closed. The new Scaith Stoneham Cemetery, together with the Crematorium- (opened in 1932) and Garden of Remembrance, is situated half a mile to the east of the Mansbridge road. St. Albany is an ecclesiastical parish, farmed 'in 1932 out of the parish of South Stopeham. The church, which> is of brick and buillt in the Gothic styHe, and parish hall, in Burgess road, were erected in 1933. JPhe registers date from 1932. The living is a vicarage.' It is in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester and (has beem held since 1946 by the Rev. Jotin F. H: Rees-Jones
: M.A. of Peterhouse, Cambridge. The chief : crops are wheat, oats and barley. The soil is sandy; subsoil, gravel and clay. The area is 1,296 acres, 26 of water, 4 of tidal water and 1 of foreshore; the population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1931 was 12,668.
SWAYTHLING,'a suburb of Southampton, on the Eastleigh-Winchester road, is now incorporated in the borough.
North End, 1& miles north, is in the parish of North Stoneham.
WESTON with NEWTOWN is a tithing and .ecclesiastical district, situated on the. east side of the river Itchen, at the southern extremity of the parish between Netley and Woolston, and extends to Southampton Water, about 2h miles south-east from Southampton,, and 1 south from Woolston railway station. Prior to 1920 it-was in the Urban District of Itchen, but by the Southampton Borough Extension. Act of that year it was included in the municipal borough of Southampton. It is in the parliamentary borough of Southampton, the hundred of Mainsbridge, Southampton county court district, rural deanery of Southampton and archdeaconry and diocese of Winchester. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1866 from the civil parish of St. Mary Extra. The church of the Holy Trinity is a building of stone in the Decorated style, having a chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, porch and a, tower with spjre> containing 3 bells: it contains 250 sittings: the register dates from, the year 1866. The living is a. vicarage. It is in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and has been held since 1946 by the Rev. Denis Arthur Whitlock Brown M.A.. L'.Tli. of Hatfield College, Durham and St. Boniface College, Warminster. The soil is sandy; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, .oats and barley, and pasture. The area is 500 acres. The population in 1931 was 889.
WOOLSTON is a tithing and ecclesiastical parish, situated on the east bank of the river Itchen, and has a railway stationj 1 mile east from Southampton, which is reached by the steam floating bridge. Prior ■to the year 1920 it was in the Urban District of Itchen, but by the Southampton Borough Extension Act of that year, it was included in the municipal borough of Southampton. It is in the parliamentary borough, of Southampton, the hundred of .Mainsbridge. county court district and rural' deanery of Southampton and archdeaconry and. diocese of Winchester: The church of: St: Mark was erected in 1863: it is a building of Swanage stone in the Early Decorated style, and has a chancel, nave of four bays, north and: south aisles and a. belfry containing one bell: it was enlarged in 1866 and again in 1887, and has about 650 sittings: the register dates from the year 18031'' The living is a: vicar age, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and'held, since 1931 by the Rev. James William Briggs L'.Th. St. Mary's Presbyterian church was built in 1876
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS