Persistent identifier:
00660474
image: of 1194
A 18
SOUTHAMPTON DIRECTORY.
;1
!*■>
V'.
& X
There is - a; Methodist chapel in Ivy road, St. Denys, built in 1883, and one. m Union road.Northam. ,
The New Central Hall seats 1,350 persons, • and takes the place of the Bast Street Methodist Church. There is a Methodist chapel in Bevois Valley, with 500 sittings. The Jews' Synagogue is in Albion place. The Church of Christ, Above Bar, is a plain building, erected in 1883, with about 1,000 sittings. „ . . ,
The .Friends' Meeting House is in Ordnance
r°The Highfield Church Institute, in High-field lane, will seat 400 persons.
The Cemetery, on Southampton common, opened in .1846, now comprises about 27 acres, with three mortuary chapels; the Jews chapel,-and burial ground are fenced off from the rest of the cemetery, and have a separate entrance: about one-fourth of the ground is unconseorated, and there are entrances from Cemetery road, Avenue, The Common and Hill lane, with a porter's lodge. .
Hollybrook Cemetery, opened in 1913, covers 47 acres and has a chapel in the Gothic style, and a lodge and offices of Portland stone. There is a memorial here to those who died in the Great"War, at sea; it is semi-circular in design and has 102 panels bearing the names of 1,853 officers and men, :including.that of Lord Kitchener.
The Old Guildhall is a room above the . arches of the Bar Gate, in which 4he borough quarter sessions and! Petty Sessions were formerly held. ;
The Municipal Offices are in the Civic Centre. This block, which was the first, of four blocks to be completed, contains, in the centre, the council chamber, the civic suite, members' and committee rooms etc. The east wing contains the offices of the town clerk and the borough treasurer, and the west wing the engineering departments of the corporation. This block of buildings was opened in November 1932 by H.M. Kihg George VI, then Duke of York.
The' Law Courts comprise the second section of . the Civic Centre to be completed and were opened in November 1933 by the Lord Chancellor. The building suffered extensive damage by enemy action.
The Guildhall, which also sustained much damage, comprises' the third section of the Civic Centre to;be completed and was opened in February, .1937. A Concert Hall seating 2,000 persons is provided. ,
The Museum at Tudor House, St. Michael's square, contains a collection of prehistoric, Roman and Hampshire antiquities. The house itself is a half-timbered 'Tudor mansion, with a banqueting hall containing a : minstrel's-gallery. It contains a secret passage .from the second floor to the roof. At the western end of the Tudor garden, and within the bounds of the property .are the remains of King John's palace,. already mentioned. In the garden are some remains of a priory of Austin Canons, founded by Henry I in 1124, and dedicated to St. Denys, or Dionysius, which were removed from
avenue, St.
their original site in Priory _ —. , --Denys, and carefully re-erected. Tne churches of Holy Hood, St. Michael, Sii. Laurence, and All Saints were attached to this monastery, which, on its suppression i;; 1538, had nine canons and revenues estimated at £91. .On a portion of the rums is an inscribed stone, recording some facts as -..o its history. There is also an ancient gmi, presented by Henry VIII and mounted on a cast-iron carriage. _ ^
The Southampton Chamber of Commerce, established in 1851 and incorporated in. 1875, holds its meetings at 2 The Polygon.
The market day is Wednesday for catt.e and corn; there is a cattle fair on Trinity
^The^Custom HouSe, opened in 1902, is in Platform road. . ■ , ,
University College, Southampton,. has grown out of the Hartley Institute, which was founded by the will of Henry Robinson Hartley esq. The Institute was opened by Viscount Palmerston in 1862. By order of the Board of Education the Institute was transformed" into the Hartley University College &t Southampton in 1902. The work of the College is divided into two sections: (1) Day classes in Arts, Science, Education, Music, Commerce and Engineering^ which prepare students for various University, Civil Service, Professional and Teaching Examinations. (2) Evening Classes, where instruction is given in Arts, Science, Technology," Commercial! Subjects, etc. The buildings of .the College are .at Highfield. They were opened in 1914, and comprise a block of lecture rooms, common rooms for staff and students, etc. together with a refectory, and also detached and .-isolated laboratories for biology, physics, chemistry and engineering. The Edward Turner Sims library, which incorporates the main entrance "to the College and the new hall.-was opened in 1935. ' The College is managed.by a Court of Governors, the executive administration being in the hands _of ^tne Council and the Senate. There is a Hall of Residence -for men at Connaught Sail and South Stoneham House, Swaythling, and one, for women at Highfield Hall. .
The Royal Southampton Yacht Club, on the west side of Above Bar street, at" the junction of Ogle road and Manchester street, is a three-storied building of dark red brick,'with terra-cotta dressings, in the jjom'estic Gothic style. ^ •• '
The Southampton Public Baths. are situated on the western shore.
The Royal South Hants and Southampton Hospital," in Fanshawe street, erected in 1838, is a -structure in the Italian style and contains 290 beds; new wings were 'opened in 1900. 1929, 1931 and 1938. . , . ,
The Southampton Free Eye Hospital is at
the junction of Carlton road and Wilton
avenue. During 1907 and 1912 operating -rooms, house surgeons' quarters,; bath room, etc., were added. Additions increasing the number of j beds to 26 were completed m 1924, and the out-patients' department was entirely rebuilt in 1931. '
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS