Persistent identifier:
image: of 825
neighbourhood of southampton—1920.
totton. 6/7
Southam Percy, plumber, Grasm^re, High, rd Southwell George H. Fleming's Arms p.h South Stoneham Cemetery (Jamas Saunders, curator;
South Stoneham Sewage Pumping Station
(William Wallace, engineer)
Whitehead Liobert, Masons' Arms p.h Wiseman Arthur, station master
[For names of residents in the following roads comprised in the civil parish of South Stoneham, viz., Ports wood road (from the Borough of Southampton boundary at t he Brook Inn), Mayfield road, Broadlands road, Harefield road & Langhorn road, see under Southampton. These roads are in the Portswood postal delivery. 1
See North Stoneham.
See South Stoneham.
See South Stoneham.
See Totton.
(See also Eling & NetleyJ (With Rumbridge & Testwood.) Totton is a large village and principal place in the parish of Eling, having a station on the Southampton and Dorchester branch of the S.W. railway, about 4 miles from Southampton, in the New Forest division of the county, NewForest union and under the same jurisdiction. The village being situated at the extremity of Southampton Water, "where the river Test flows into it, affords every facility for water purposes, and the scenery, rich meadows and excellent salt marsh of about 50 acres are both pleasing and beneficial. Over the salt.marsh the inhabitants enjoy a right of common run for feeding cattle, except from Hock Monday (the second Monday after Easter day) till the 14th August, when only seven persons are privileged to turn in one horse each to feed over the whole ; it is then locked up, usually for about one month, until the grass is cut in allotments by different owners and carried, when it is again thrown open. Totton is a place of commercial interest, having' steam flour mills and steam saw mills ; and at Testwood there is a salmon fishery, renowned for its excellent salmon. St. Mary's chapel of ease is situated here, and there is a Congregational chapel, built in 1811 seating 250 ; a Primitive Methodist chapel and a Gospel mission hall, erected in 1901. and almshouses for poor widows, built by Miss Bourne. The Reading and Recreation Club in High street
is an iron building and was opened in January, 1906. There are several seats in this parish : the principal are Capt. Vere Henry Birch-Reynardson esq. Rushington Manor; Captain Alfred Philip Beaumont J. p. of Great Testwood. The principal landowners are Mrs. Vaudrey-Barker-Mill, of Langley Manor, who is lady of the manor of Colbury and Langley ; Capt. Vere Henry Birch-Reynardson esq. and Captain A. P. Beaumont j.p.
Parish Clerk, William Broomfield.
County Police Station, Totton, Frederick Telling, sergeant in charge, & 2 constables
Public Officers :—
First Assistant Deputy Forest Surveyor,\ John Henry Dixon, Ashurst lo. Lvndhurst Certifying Factory Surgeon & Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator No. 1 or Eling district, & Medical Officer to the Institution, New Forest union, & Medical Officer of Health to. New Forest Rural District Council, Hy. Anderson Sheppard m.r.c.s. , l.s.a. Totton
Assistant Overseer & Collector of Rates,Tom Bishop, Rumbridge Street
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee & Superintendent Registrar, New Forest union & clerk to the New Forest rural district council, T. E. Smith, solicitor
Surveyor of Highways, Reynold W. Dixon, Ashurst lodge, Lyndhurst
2 2f
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS