Persistent identifier:
00660473
image: of 825
\
neiI Emery George, farmer, Kownhams farm : pjford Arthur, market gardener " Gradidge John, farmer, Packridge (letters
through Romsey)
Hants Friendly Society (Richard Henry
Rendell, agent)
Harris George (exors. of), brick makers House George Stephen, coal merchant,grocer,
& post office Kerman John, farmer
Ladhams B. Limited, nurserymen, seedsmen & landscape gardeners Marks William, wood dealer Page Miss, grocer
Phillips Cyril, farmer, Bedwell farm Pinnick John, market grdnr. Up. Brownhill Prince Henry, market gardener Ray Elijah, farmer
Reeves George, farmer, Packridge (letters
through Romsey)
St. John's Convalescent Home Sawyer Charles, carpenter, Woodlands Tiller George, farmer & dealer, Toothill
(letters through Romsey)
Webb Edgar,dealer, Toothill (letters through Romsey)
Witmarsh Charles, farmer, Toothill (letters through Romsey)
RTJMBRIDGE STREET.
See Totton.
ST. MARY EXTRA.
See Itchen, page 636.
SHIRLEY.
See Southampton.
snolim*.
See Itchen, page' 661.
A
NORTE STONEHAM.
parish- 4 miles north-north-east
from
Southampton, south-west from Eastleigh (late Bishopstoke) railway station (London and South Western railway), and 74 from London, in the Winchester division of the county, hundred of Man abridge, South Stoneham union, North Southampton petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Southampton and Winchester archdeaconry and diocese. The river Itchen passes through the parish. Stoneham Park, the property and residence of J. E. A. Willis-Fleming esq. d.l., j.p. who is also lord of the manor and principal landowner, contains about 500 acres : the old mansion, which still stands, but is untenanted, and is about 100 years old, was built for the late John Willis-Fleming esq. the grandfather of the present owner, but a modern house was erected in 1911 ; the grounds are carefully laid out, and include a fine fish pond and shrubberies, and are well timbered. The church, dedicated to St. Nicolas, bearing date of register 1640, was probably rebuilt during the 13th and completed in the 14th century ; the oldest part of the church is the low embattled tower, in the Early English style ; it has a clock and 8 bells: the nave is in the Perpendicular style: the windows through-
ends containing religious subjects and those on the north and south displaying the armorial bearings and alliances of the Fleming family: the church contains the remains of the famous Lord Hawke, Vice-Admiral of Great Britain, who died in 1781, a monument being erected to his memory : there is also an elaborate monument to Sir Thomas Fleming, Lord Chief Justice of the King's Bench 1607-13, with effigy in robes, and to his wife and children, and a tablet to the memory of the Rev. Frederick Beadon, canon of Wells cathedral, who was rector of this parish 68 years, and departed this life June 10th, 1879, aged 101 years, and to his father, the Rev. Edwardes Beadon MiA. chaplain to George III., who was also rector of the parish for 49 years: the church was carefully restored in 1891 under the direction of Messrs. Bodley and Garner, and contains 300 sittings. A new pulpit was erected in 1898, the gift of W. G. Beatty esq. and a new vestry added in 1901 at a cost of ^250. A handsome lycbgate has lately been given by the Right Rev. the Lord Bishop of Southampton in memory of his wife, who is buried in the churchyard, designed by Mr. Percy Stone F.Tt.i.B.A. and built of oak timber taken from H.M.S. "Thunderer," which took part in the Battle of Trafalgar. The living is a
put are stained, those g,t the east and iyest rectory, net yearly value ^400, including SOUTH. 23
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS