Persistent identifier:
image: of 825

i i
Jl 1
Warner Surrey, carriage & wagon supfc. London & South Western Railway Co.'.-Carriage Works, Bishopstoke road Washbourn Thomas, baker, 12 Newtown rd Webb Alfred, photographer, 39 High street
& 29 Leigh road Welch Harold, dectr. &c. 118 Desborough rd Welch Walter Alfred, saddler, 90 & 92
Southampton road Wheeler H. Son & Coombs, timber merchants, Winchester road Whieidon Edmund, collector of rates to Eastleigh & Bishopstoke Urban District Council, Council offices, Leigh road White John S. & Son, coal merchants, 4
Winchester road White Dorothy (Miss), teacher of music, 188
Market street White Edward Henry, bldr. 97 Newtown rd White Henry, solicitor & commissioner for oaths, coroner for Winchester district of 1
See also Totton.
A village and extensive parish in the New Forest division of the county, near the head of the Southampton water, on the western side, one mile south from Totton station on the Southampton and Dorchester section of the London and South Western railway, 5 miles west from Southampton, 6§ south from Romsey and 86,from London, in the hundred of Redbridge, New Forest anion, Lyndhurst district of the Lymington and New Forest petty sessional division,. Southampton county court district, rural deanery of Lyndhurst and archdeaconry and diocese of Winchester. There are timber wharves, breweries, creosote, pitch, naphtha and chemical works and other business warehouses. There were five ecclesiastical parishes formed out of Eling, viz. : Eling, North Eling (also called Copythorne), Netley. Marsh, Marchwood and Colbury, These were constituted separate civil parishes by an order of County Council, September, 1893, and confirmed July, 1894. Eling parish contains the villages of Eling, Rumbridge and Totton; details of latter villages are given under the separate heading (see Totton). The parish church (St. Mary) is one of the oldest and most beautiful in the neighbourhood of Southampton; it is situated upon a spur of Eling hill and overlooking Southampton water. Traces of its Saxon construction are seen in the arches of the north and south aisles, in the north windows of the sanctuary and the outer buttresses of the north wall: in 1865 the chance], south aisle and greater portion of the nave were rebuilt in the Early English style, and
the county & clerk to the guardians & assessment committee of Hursley union & to Hursley Rural District Council, 73 Leigh road
White Tom, undertaker, 32 Market street Whitlock Wm. Jas. plumber, 131 Market sfc Whittlesey A.(Madame),millnr. 11 Market sfc Wigmore Frederick J. fruiterer, 7 Leigh rd Winchester Steam Laundry Co. Ltd. (The),
122 Market street WOOD J. R. & CO. LIMITED, coal merchants, Station hill, Southampton road Woodford H. & Son, bakers, 101 & 103 Desborough road Woolf Robert, dining rooms, r& ia, High st WoolfRoberfc, refreshment rooms, 3 Leigh rd Woolgar Wm. insur. supt. 14 Winchester rd Wright Mrs. dining rooms, 41 Market street X. L. C. R. Pure Water Co. (W. H. G-over, proprietor), Grantham road
since 1870 the interior has been thoroughly restored and reseated at a cost of £500: the rered'os, of Caen stone, the gift of the late Miss Sturgess Bourne, includes a representation of the Nativity, and there are several stained glass windows and an ancient painting of the Last Supper, formerly the altar piece : in the tower is a set of six bells with quaint inscriptions. A lych gate, designed by Percy Stone f.s.a. was erected in 1901 as a memorial of the coronation of the late King Edward VII. The church affords 600 sittings. The registers date back to 1537 and contain among other things a. record of a marriage performed by Richard Cromwell. The living is a vicarage, attached before the dissolution of the monasteries to Mottisfont, with Totton annexed, net yearly value £800, including 200 acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of J. E. Ward esq. and held since 1897 by the Rev. Thomas Thistle iU.a. of Corpus Christi college, Oxford, late master of Hereford school. Mrs. Vauclrey-Barker-Mill, of Langley Manor, Vere H. Birch-Reynardson esq. Capt. A. P. Beaumont J. p. and Peter Leckie esq. are the chief land and property owners. The area-is 2,124 acres of land, 10 of water, 77 of tidal water and 302 of foreshore, and the rest woodland, • arable and pasture. The population in 191 x was 3,125 of the entire parish. The rateable value is 2"i5»9°3-
Eling Parish Clerk, William Broomfield.
Churchwardens, Vere Henry Birch* Reynardson and W. H. Cowdery.
COLBURY, formerly a tithing and ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1872 from the civil
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS