Persistent identifier:
00660473
image: of 825
I
spacious offices in the-Leigh road, -where the business of the Council is now transacted. This place was formed into an ecclesiastical parish in 1868 from the civil parish of South Stoneham. The church of the Resurrection, built in 1868,^ at a cost of £2,300, is an edifice of Berry Head stone,with Bath stone dressings, in the Early Decorated style, from designs by the late George E. Street esq. a.Z and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, north aisle, south porch, organ chamber and a bell-cote containing one bell: the church was enlarged in 1884 at a cost of £1,296: in 1901 the church was still further enlarged, a new nave and south aisle being added at a cost of .£7,464 and a new chancel was opened in 1905, costing about £5,000 ; the church now accommodates x.lzo persons. The register dates from the year 1868. The
living is a vicarage, net yearly value £320, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1919 by the Rev. E. G. Wells m.a., m.c. The church of All Saints, which is attached to the parish church, was erected in 1910 at a cost of about £8,200, from the designs of Messrs. Colson and Nisbett, architects, of Winchester: there are 700 sittings. The Catholic church of the HolyCross, Leigh road, was built by a generous benefactress at a cost of £3,000, from designs by the Very Rev. Canon Scoles. It was consecrated on the 13th August, 1902, and has sitting accommodation for about 300 persons ; Rev. John Doran, priest. TheWesleyan church was erected at a cost of nearly £2,000, and in 1906 was enlarged and Sunday schools added at a further cost of £2,200; the church will now seat 650 persons. The new Union Baptist church, with vestries, situated in' Desborous-h road, was built in 1905, at a cost (including site) of £3,300,
NEIGHBOURHOOD OF SOUTHAMPTON—1920. EASTLEiGH. 587
Bank Limited has a branch here. The carriage works of the London and South VY estern Railway Company, removed from INme Elms, London, in i8gr, occupy some 4^ acres of land and employ 1,700 hands ; opposite the entrance to the works is a large dining hall built by the Company for the use of their workmen, and seating about 600, cookery classes in connection with the technical instruction scheme, of the County Council are held here. The locomotive works of the same company, removed from Nine Elms in 1910, occupy about 30 acres of land and employ 2,000 hands. The Institute, erected by the Company and extended in 1891 at a cost of over £4,000, for the benefit of their staff, is a structure of brick with stone facings, and comprises a reading room, well supplied with books and papers, a library of 6,000 volumes and two billiard rooms with four tables ; the large hall will seat 500 persons: near the works'are cottages occupied ~ by the members of the London and South Western Company's Fire Brigade, and provided with electric call signals. A bowling green and two tennis courts have been added. The Junction family hotel, under the management of Messrs. Spiers and Pond Limited, adjoins the railway station, and is near the ; river Itchen, which affords excellent trout fishing. Tankerville ' Chamberlayne esq. of Weston Grove and Cranbury Park, Winchester, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and beans. The soil is clay and sand; subsoil, generally gravel. The area is 1,532 acres ; rateable value, March, 1915," £82,227; the population of the Eastleigh and Bishopstoke Urban District Council in 1911 was 15,247.
from designs by Messrs. John Wills and Sons,',
of Derby and London, and is an edifice of Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B., Express Delivery
brick with St/Onp. dvPSSinCTQ f/hp ofTrlrt & Armnif.Tr Jtr Tnt-n -no -n rtCk rkn S-T- T^l ^
brick with stone dressings in the Gothic style, and has 75° sittings. The Sunday School Hall, in connection with the Union Baptist church, also situated in Desborough road, was built in 1896 at a cost (including site) °/ £1,600 and will seat 350 ; the Congregational chapel was erected in 1904 and has 250 sittings ; there are also Primitive Methodist and United Methodist chapels, and meeting hpuses for the Brethren. St. Mary's Catholic Industrial Home for Children, in Market street, built in 1884 by Miss Simeon, of Eastleigh, is a structure of brick with stone dressings, facing the park, and has a chapel adjoining; the. Rev. John Doran, chap-rilnu Tfiere are Conservative and Radical Uubs; also a Workman's Club. Lloyds
& Annuity & Insurance Office & Telephone Exchange, 14 High street.—Wr. J. Waller, sub-postmaster
M. O. & S. B., 251 Market street T. S. O
Pillar Letter Boxes, Campbell road; Winchester road; Station front; Leigh road & Doncaster road
Wall Letter Boxes, Market street; Desborough road; Lower Market street ; Newtown road ; Winchester road ; & on the up platform, Eastleigh station
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS