Persistent identifier:
00660473
image: of 825
Id
SOUTHAMPTON DIRECTOBY—1920.
i
&
m.

bi

: An open space, formerly called Porter's Meadow, is laid out as a, park, and called the Queen's Park, in which a memorial to Major-General Charles Gordon, killed at Khartoum, in the Soudan, Jan. 26th, 1885, was unveiled October 15th, 1885. When in England the General resided in Southampton, and his relatives still remain in the town.
Sir John Everett Millais hart, p.r.a. was born at Portland street in this town in 1829, and died in 1897.
The Bowling Green, Lower Canal walk, is of. very ancient date, records being in existence showing the same Green to have been in use in 1x98. .
Poktswoob is within the municipal borough of Southampton and the parish of Southampton, about 2 miles north from the centre of the town, on the west bank of the Itchen. The Cobden Free bridge, opened 27th June, 1883, was erected at the cost of the National Land Corporation Limited, the owners of the adjacent Bitterne Manor estate, and the bridge is now the property of the Town; it crosses the Itchen in five spans of 72 feet 6 inches each, supported on cylindrical iron piers, 7 feet in diameter below the low water mark, and 4 feet 6 inches above,.sunk from a depth of from 15 to 24 feet below low water, through the peat, gravel and clay forming the bed of the river : the abutments are chiefly of concrete, and the upper portions of the piers and their connections of iron-work : the bridge has a carriage-road 16 feet wide, and a path 6 feet wide on each side of it, and was constructed from the designs of Mr. Corbet Woodall, engineer, of Palace chambers, Westminster, at a cost, exclusive of the abutments, of .£8,400 ; the abutments themselves needing an additional expenditure of £3,100. The larger portion of Portswood is divided into two ecclesiastical parishes, Christ Church, formed in 1848, and St. Denys, formed in 1867, from the parish of South Stoneham. Christ Church, built in 1844, at a cost of £4,000, and enlarged in 1856 by the addition of a north aisle of equal dimensions with the nave, at a further cost of £1,000, consists of chancel, nave, aisles and a tower with spire containing one bell: in 1878 the chancel was pulled down and the ea,st end of the nave and north aisle were spanned with four equal arches, the two centre opening into the new chancel, the north arch into its north aisle, and the south arch into its south aisle; the chancel thus
standing astride of the have and the old north aisle ; or, as they have now become, the two'naves; the original lean-to aisle to the south of the old nave has been left untouched: there are several stained windows. In 1914 the church was again enlarged by a straight extension to the west, and the seating accommodation is about 860, of which one-half are free. The register dates from the year 1847. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent charge £103, gross yearly value £520, net £400, including 6 acres of glebe,'with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Robert Andrew Mitchell m. a. of Magdalen College, Oxford, and hon. canon of Winchester. The area of Christ Cjiurch is 370 acres ; the population ini9ix was 3,562.
St. Denys' church, erected in 1868, is a building of red brick in the Gothic style, from designs by the late Sir G. G. Scott it.A. consisting of chancel, nave, and north and south aisles ; there is an alabaster reredos and several stained windows: the church, was enlarged in 1889 and will seat 900. The register dates from the year 1868. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £"450, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1907 by the Rev. Leonard Sumner Etheridge m.a. of Keble College, Oxford. The population of St. Denys in 1911 was 7,280.
St. Agnes' temporary church is situated at the tram terminus, Portswood road, Hampton Park, and was founded in 1905 ; it serves a population of 3,500, mostly resident in the borough. The Rev. Neville George Joseph Stiff A.K.c.ii. incumbent, and was appointed by the Bishop of Winchester in 1914. ■
Ascension is an ecclesiastical parish, formed from the parishes of"*South Stoneham and Bitterne; the church, in Thorold road, Bitterne Park, is a temporary iron building. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1916 by the Rev. Leonard Starey m.a. The population in 1911 was 5,750.
Fjreemantle is pleasantly seated on the banks of Southampton Water, and by the "Redistribution of Seats Act, 1885," it is included, in the parliamentary borough of Southampton. In 1851 it was separated from the civil parish of Millbrook for ecclesiastical purposes, its population being then limited to the residents at Freemantle hall.
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS