Persistent identifier:
00660473
image: of 825
SOUTHAMPTON. DIRECTORY—1920.
St. Michael's church, in St. Michael's square, is an ancient building of stone in the Norman and later styles, with Perpendicular insertions, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and a central tower with spire, containing 8 bells : the church was restored and new altars erected in 1872 and the tower was strengthened and the spire heightened in 1880 : in the church is a monument to Sir Richard Lister kt. Chief Justice of the Com rnon Pleas, ob. 1553, and three stained windows : there are 621 sittings, all free. The register dates from the year 1.552. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value .£130, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1899 by the Rev. John William Stephen James Danbury b.a. of Durham University.
Holy Trinity is an ecclesiastical parish, f ormed in 1848 from St. Mary's parish. The church, in North Front, Kingsland, is a building; of brick, stuccoed, in the Norman style, consisting of nave, with apse and aisles : it affords 1,000 sittings, of which all are free. The register dates from the year 1829. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1912 by the Rev. Mered John Rush, of St. Stephen's House, Oxford. -
St. James' is an ecclesiastical parish,formed in 1853 from the parish of St. Mary. The church, in Bridge road, was erected in 1858, at a cost exceeding ^4,000, and is a building of. stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles : the church was consecrated on the 4th October, 1858, and has 830 sittings, all of which are free and unappropriated : the sites for the church- and vicarage house were given by Queen's College, Oxford. The register dates from the year 1858. The living is a vicarage, net income ^330,without residence,in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1915 by the Rev. Bernard M. Hancock b.a., L.Th. of Durham.
;£r,ooo, has been introduced. The church was repaired and decorated in 1903, at a cost of about ^r,2oo. In 1905 a carved oak altar of exceptional value and beauty, together with cross, candlesticks and vases, were presented by James Ledicott Deal esq. in memory of his mother, the late Mrs Deal. There,fare about 950 sittings, of which half are free. The register dates from the year 1853. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge ^210, average ^150, gross yearly value ^450, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1899 by the Rev. James Trevaskis d.d. of Durham University, surrogate for marriage licenses.
St. Faith's Mission church, in Ancaster road, was built in 1893, by Miss Pickard, in memory of her sister.
St. Matthew's is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1866 from the parishes of St. Mary and Holy Trinity. The church, in St. Mary's road, erected in 1870, is a building of stone* in the Norman style, and consists of chancel, nave of five bays, and aisles, the north aisle having been added in 1874 : there are 730 sittings, of which 300 are free. The register dates from the year 1869. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value from tithe rent-charge and pew rents £342, net income ^320, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Wycliffe Vaughan m.a. of New College, Oxford.
St. Luke's, Newtown, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1853 from the parish of St. Mary and the tithing of Portswood in South Stoneham parish. The church, in Upper Chamberlayne place, was erected in 1853 and enlarged 1860, and had a chancel added in 1873 ; it is a building of stone, and consists of chancel, nave and aisles, and an organ chamber added in 1883 : the total cost, raised by subscription and grants, was about ^9,000; a reredos, in mosaic, was erected in 1877, and an organ, costing about j Chester, SOUTU.
St. Paul's is an "ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1863 from that of All Saints'. The church, in London road, consisting of chancel and nave, and western tower and spire containing 2 bells, was erected in 1828 as a chapel of ease to All Saints', and was the first of the modern churches of the town built outside the walls of Southampton. It has been much improved, and is partly in the Perpendicular style and partly in the Early Decorated: there are several good stained windows,one of which is a memorial to Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of Winchester, who, on July 19th, 1873, was killed by a fall from his horse near Dorking, Surrey: the communion plate was presented by the late William Chamberlayne esq. m.p. for Southampton: an organ was erected in 18 84, at a cost of 800 guineas, in memory of the Rev. J. W. Gary d.d. first vicar of this church : there are 670 sittings, of which 300 are free. The register dates from the year 1861. The living is a -vicarage, chiefly derived from pew rents, with residence, in the gift o£ the Bishop of Win -and held since 19x7 by
I!'


'.B
the Rev.
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS