Persistent identifier:
00660472
image: of 485
neighbourhood of southampton.
New Forest Hall(William Gerrard,proprietor* Nunn George Richard l.e.c.p. Edin. surgeon & medical officer & public vaccinator, & medical officer to workhouse, Queen's cott Palmer John R. Crown hotel & posting house;
carriages to order 1'arrott James, agent for Prudential Life Pcckham Henry, labourer, Ivy cott. Pike's hi Pine Horatio William, station master, Lynd-
hurst Road railway station Pink Henry,coal mer. & furnished apartments Primmer Mrs. lodging house, Queen's road Read Frederick, carpenter Read George, coal dealer Roberts William, carrier Roe Edward, surgeon, The Orchard Scammell Henry & Son, blacksmiths Scammell Geo. J. lodging ho. Clarendon vil Shepherd Lewis, Crown. & Stirrup p.h Short John Golden, chemist Short Mary (Miss), milliner Smith Rhoda (Mrs.), lodging ho. Pike's hill Stote George, labourer, Pike's hill Stote Martha (Mrs.), shopkeeper Strange John, butcher & farmer Trent George, cowkeeper, Pond head Umfraville Samuel Charles, lodging house,
Assington villa Welch James, lodging house, Rowbeach White Emma (Mrs.), lodging ho. Queen's rd White Mary Ann (Mrs.), lodging ho.Birch ldg White William, superintendent of police Wiltshire John,lodging house,Myrtle cottage, Bank
Withers William, builder
Wolfe George, shoe maker & sexton
Wolfe George, jun. boot maker
MAliCHWQOD. 339
Emery Down.
private residents.
Boultbee Miss Davis Henry
Hughes Rev. Herbert Thomas m.a. ("vicarl Jackson William Ward, Camp hill Maxwell John. Anersley house Newbolt Charles, Bank Newbolt Harry, Vine cottage, Bank Norris Mrs Pearce John
Peto Morton Kelsall, Littlecroft Stanbridge George
commercial.
Bank & Emery Down Public Reading Room"
(Frank Payne, hon. sec)
Bishop Tom, grocer, & post office Blake Moses, sexton
Broomfield Charles, Royal Oak p.h. Bank
Ellery Peter, stone mason
Jones William, farmer
Lewis William, New Forest inn
McPherson Jas. agent to Lord Londesborough*
Newbolt Charles, Agister p.h. Bank
Payne Frank & William, builders
Payne Adeline (Mrs.), draper, hosier & glover
& shoe warehouse Payne Elizabeth (Mrs.), lodging house Smith John, schoolmaster Smith John (Mrs.), schoolmistress Stote Frederick, shoeing smith Veal George, lodging house Veal Mark, charcoal burner White John George, farmer, Bank White Mary Ann (Mrs.), cowkeeper Young Fanny (Miss), lodging house, Bank
MAIDENSTONE, see Bursledon.
MARCHWOOD is a tithing and ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1843 from the civil parish of Eling, 2J miles south-east from Eling and 3 south-east from Totton station,on the west bank of Southampton Water, m the New Forest division of the county, lledbridge hundred. New Forest union, Southampton county court district, petty sessional division of Lyndhurst, and in the rural deanery of Fordingbridge eastern division, and archdeaconry and diocese of Winchester. This place has a ferry boat to and from Southampton and is a very picturesque spot. St. John's church is a building of stone "ml white brick in the Perpendicular style, wnl consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, transepts and a tower with spire contain-U|g 1 bell and clock: several windows are stained ; one was presented by Major William sawyer, in memory of his child. The register dates from the year 1845. The living is a
vicarage, net yearly value £150, including 18 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Charles Bartholomew esq. and held since 1879 by the Rev. Charles Lambert Coghkm m.a. of University College, Oxford. There are-extensive Government powder magazines, and a hospital and barracks here. Byams House, the seat of W. Gascoigne Roy esq. was rebuilt in 1878: the old house had been in possession of the family for over a century. Pooks Green is in this parish. Cecil Roy Saunders esq. who is lord of the manor, Mrs. Vaudrey, of Mottisfont Abbey, ' C. Bartholomew esq. and W. Gascoigne Roy esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and sandy: subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The population in 1881 was 719, including 133 in the' Government Powder Magazine, Hospital, = Barracks &c.
•Parish Clerk, Richard Limicll Bliss*
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS