Persistent identifier:
00660472
image: of 485
318 LYMINOTOX,
neighbourhood of southampton.
adjusted «o as to form a loving cup; the Corporate seal of silver dates from 1669. The Local Board under the powers vested in them have supplied their district with water, taken from springs at Ampress, at a cost of £10,000: the works were constructed by Messrs. Easton and Anderson, of Whitehall
Klace, London, and the sub-contractor for the wildings was Mr. F. Reeks of this town: the water obtained from the springs adjacent to the works is thence conveyed through mains to the tower at the west end of the town. The Board have also received approval by the Local Government Board of a scheme of sewerage of the district at a cost of £13,000; these important works will be completed by August, 1888. The district under the Public Health and Local Government Board Acts comprises the parish and borough of Lymington. By the Municipal Act a mayor, four aldermen and twelve councillors are annually elected ; the mayor and ex-mayor are justices of the peace, the county magistrates having concurrent jurisdiction. The town is situated on the western bank of the river Boldre, which falls into that part of the English Channel called the Solent, dividing the mainland from the Isle of Wight, and excellent baths, containing a large swimming bath for gentlemen and ladies' bathd, have lately been opened, which will add greatly to the attractions of the place. The harbour at the entrance of the creek is excellent. On the quays are commodious wharfs and store-rooms. The trade is chieiiy confined to coasting vessels. Yacht building, fitting &c. is extensively carried on here. Lymington rose into note in the reign of Henry I. having then been made a port, and about the same time it became celebrated for its salt works, the salt-houses and salterns belonging to which extended along the coast from Pylowell to Hurst: this trade is now wholly destroyed, but the sites of the salterns, one of which remained in operation until 1865, may still be traced. In the twenty-ninth year of the reign of Edward I. the port contributed nine ships and 159 men towards the fleet for the protection of the southern coast. Petty duties were levied by the inhabitants on certain articles of merchandise brought to the port; but the right was questioned by the superior port of Southampton: thecase was tried in the year 1329, and was decided against them In 1750, naving again taken these duties, they were sued by the Corporation of Southampton, when they procured the removal of the cause to the County Assize Court, and obtained a verdict in their favour, since which time the petty customs have been regularly paid. Lymington con-
sists principally of one line of street, more than half a mile in length, including St. Thomas street and High street. The town is lighted with gas. Lymington gives the title of viscount to the Wallop family, Earls of Portsmouth. The church of St. Thomas a Becket is an edifice of brick and stone chiefly in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south transept, north porch and an embattled tower on the south side of the chancel, rebuilt in 1670 and containing 6 bells, and a small bell in an open turret with a cupola and vane: it was thoroughly restored and re-pewed in 1874: there are 1,500 sittings, of which 250 are free: in the year 1885 a system of warming the church with hot-water pipes and ventilating by a patent system of Lloyds, Winchester, was carried out with much success at a cost of £260, contributed by the parishioners. The register dates from the year 1660. The living, formerly a chapelry of Boldre parish, is a vicarage, yearly value £300, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1852 by the Rev. Benjamin Maturin m.a. The rectorial tithes are now vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and held under a lease for three lives by Glyn and Co. bankers. There is a handsome Catholic chapel, dedicated to Our Lady of Mercy and St. Joseph. There are also Baptist, Congregational, Wesleyan and Catholic Apostolic chapels. The charities are:— Brown's charity, February 4th, 1667, is for bread, about £10 arising from land being given to the poor of the parish, after service in the church on January ist of each year. Admiral Rogers', in 1814, £32, being the interest of £1,000 in Government securities given to five old men and five old women, 011 December ist, January ist and February ist of each year. Howe's charity, £60 a 3 ear, given by Lieutenant Rogers, but called. Howe's charity after the name of his wife, consists of the interest of £2,000 Consols, to be given in clothing on the 21st October in each year, to the poor of the parish. Ful-ford's charity, 1668, £20 a year derived from land in Buckland Newton, in the county of Dorset, and applied by order of the Court of Chancery to the support of National schools. The Literary Institute, established in the year 1847, occupies four rooms in New lane: it has a library of about 1,000 volumes, and there are now (1887) 130 members ; Edward Ings, hon. sec. The Assembly Rooms adjoin the Angel hotel, in the High street. The fairs are on the 12th and 13th of May, and the 2nd and 3rd October. The market is held on Saturday. A handsome drinking-fountain and trough of grey granite was
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS