Persistent identifier:
00660472
image: of 485

m#6 mtnw.
neighbourhood op southampton.
South Eling;Langl«t,Ix)fekwoob,March-
wood, Rotcbhidgic, Tatchbubt, Great and Littli Tistwood, Wads and Wigley Chris: they are all ranged round the western head of the Southampton Water, forming an almost continuous town, with •hip-building yards, breweries, timber wharves and other waterside business places. The parish of Eling is divided into fire ecclesiastical parishes, viz. Eling St. Mary (the mother church), North Eling, Netley, Marchwood and Colbury. St. Mary's parish contains the villages of Eling-, Great Test-wood, Totton and Rukbbibgb. The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of flint and atone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave and a tower containing 6 , bells: the interior was thoroughly restored and reseated in 1865, and a handsome carved stone reredos, representing the Nativity, erected The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £630, net yearly value £700, including aoo acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the Rev. W. J. G. Phillips, and held since 1885 by the Rev. Joseph Clark v. a. Cambridge. The New Forest Union house is in this parish; for
girticulars of union see Southampton. The ants Reformatory is in the Netley district, which see A fair is held at Eling on July 5th.
are three flour mills and a salmon fishery at Testwood. Here are Congregational, Presbyterian and Wesleyan chapels, and almshouses for poor widows, built and endowed by Miss Bourne. Several gentlemen have seats in the parish; the principal are Col. E. Birch-Reynardson c.b., j.p. Rushington Manor, and Lieut.-Col. C. W. Bruce J. p. of Testwood House. The principal landowners are Mrs. Vaudrey, who is lady of the manor, C. Roy Saunders esq. Col. Reynardson and Lieut-Col. Bruce j.p. The area is 18,581 acres of land, of which about 10,000 are in the New Forest, 726 water and the rest woodland, arable and pasture, except the gardens: rateable value, £27,950 ; the population of the entire parish in 1881 was 6,032, and 106 officers and inmates of the New Forest workhouse, of which 1,890 are in the mother church district.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Smith.
Totton, the principal place in the parish, is situate at the extremity of the Southampton Water, where the river Test flows into it, affording great variety of scenery in water, woodland and rich meadows; here are also about fifty acres of excellent salt marsh, over which the inhabitants enjoy a right of common run for feeding cattle, except from Hock Monday (the second Monday after Easter Day) till the 14th of August, when only seven persons are privileged to turn in one horse each to feed over the whole; it is then locked up (usually for about one month), until the grass is cut in allotments by different owners and carried, when it is again* thrown open; Charles M. Green, hay-ward. This has been a place of great commerce, , particularly in the coal, timber and corn trades, but since communication was opened by railway from Southampton to Salisbury, the business done has been considerably less: here is a bone mill, and there
Eling..
private residents.,
Bickerdyke Rev. Robert, Colbury ■ CforkRev. Joseph m.a. Vicarage Gulliver James Walter, Rose road Handing John T. Hounsdown
Post, Monet Order & Telegraph Office & Savings Bank, Totton.—Mrs Mary Read, postmistress. Letters arrive from Southampton at 3.30 a.m. & 1.30 & 7.30 p.m.; despatched at 10.45 a-m- & 4*4° & 9-JS P-m County Police Station, Totton, Henry Had-den, sergeant in charge, & one constable Public Officers :—
Assistant Deputy Forest Surveyor, James Harold Roberts, Ashurst lodge Certifying Factory Surgeon & Medical Officer of Health & Public Vaccinator, No. 1 district, New Forest Union, Henry Viant L.R.c.p. Edin., M.u.c.s., li.s.A. & L.*.Totton Assistant Overseer & Collector of Rates,
Andrew Paterson Registrar of Marriages, Sanitary Inspector
& District Surveyor, William Allen Registrar of Births & Deaths, Eling sub-district, New Forest Union, James King, Eling
Relieving Officer, ist district, New Forest
Union, James King, Eling
National School (boys), built in 1835, for 250 children; average attendance, 170; John Kendall, master; (girls & infants). Miss Kendall, mistress Railway Station, Totton,Chas. Henry Staines,
station master Conveyance. — Omnibus to Southampton, three times daily, leaving Walter Foot's 9.10 & 10.1,0 a.m. & 2.10 p.m
Hony Mrs. Colbury manor Peck Kenrick, Downes- house Rabbetts Col. Nigel Gresley, Eling grove_ Roberts James Harold, Ashurst lodge Rogers Captain John, Lyndhurst road. Spooner Albert, Beechfield house Thurlow Rev, J, Eling house

Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS