Persistent identifier:
00660472
image: of 485
neighbourhood op southampton.
boldre. 277
owners are John Movant esq. J. P. Heseltine esq, David Jones esq. W. Ingram Whitaker esq. Mrs. Shrubb, James Knapton-Knapton esq. E. H. Pemberesq j.p.»q.c. and William John Charles Moens esq. f.s.a. The soil is clay and loam; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 12,02a acres of land and 1,233 water and foreshore ; rateable value, £9,627; the population in 1881 was 2,145.
Parish Clerk, Albert George Jenvey, Pilley
Pillar Letter Box (near 'Red Lion'),
cleared at 6.15 p.m. week days only Pillar Letter Box—Cleared at 6 p.m.
week days only Wall Letter Box—Cleared at 6 p.m. week days only. Letters through Lymington
Walhampton, i£ miles south, is a suburb of Lymington, in Boldre parish. Walhampton House is now the residence of J. P. Heseltine esq. who is principal landowner. The monument at Walhampton i erected to the memory of Admiral Sir Harry Burrard Neale bart. o.c.m. & g.c.m.g. of Walhampton in this county, who departed this life at Brighton on the 7th Feb. 1840, in the 75th year of his age. This monument was erected in the fourth year of the reign of Queen Victoria by Adelaide the Queen Dowager; their Royal Highnesses the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Augusta, a large circle of distinguished professionals and other friends, and the inhabitants of Lymington and its vicinity. This monument is seen for many miles round.
Pillar Letter Box.—Cleared at 6 p.m. weekdays only. Letters throughLyinington
Pilley tithing is 2 miles south-west from the church, and separated from Lymington by the Boldre or Lymington water. Here was an endowed school, which was founded by the Rev. William Gilpin (a former vicar), for the education and clothing of 20 boys and 20 girls, being the children of poor labourers of the parish, which has become extinct through the erection of new schools; the endowment is applied in aid of the East Boldre, Sway, and the new schools at Pilley. Here is a Congregational chapel.
Letter Box cleared at 6.20 p.m. week days only
Boldre.
private residents.
BlathwaytR. William, Fair view,Sandy down Burton Col. W. H. b.e. Shirley holms Chester Edward, Setley lodge Drummond Miss, Riversdale
Letters through Lymington, which is the
nearest money order & telegraph office Schools:—
Church of England, Pilley, erected in 1876, for 180 children; arcrage attendance, 130 ; Edwin John Cherry, master; Mrs. Cherry, mistress
The Infant school in the village of B »hira was built in 1869, by W. J. C Moens esq. out of the profits of a book entitled "English Travellers and Italian Brigands," London, 1866, being the relation of his capture by brigands in the province of Salerno, Italy, in 1885. The school was given to the parish shortly afterwards.
Infants', Boldre lane, built in 1869, for 49 children ; average attendance, 49 ; Mrs. Harriet Gilbert, mistress
East Boldre, 5 miles east from Lymington, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1840 from the civil parish of Boldre; it is in the Southern division of the county, New Forest hundred, Lymington union, county court district and petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Fawley, archdeaconry and diocese of Winchester. The church of St. Paul, built in 1839, is a small brick edifice in the Early English style; it lias only a nave and turret with 1 bell; it has 250 seats, all free. The register dates from the year 1840. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £100, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester and held since 1842 by the Rev. Joseph Wiat Gunning b.a. of Queens* College, Cambridge. Here are Congregational and Baptist chapels. The Crown is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is mostly loam; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The population in x88x was 601.
Parish Clerk, Reuben Jones.
Wall Letter Box (near the church), cleared at 5.30 p.m. week days only. Letters through Southampton, vi& Beaulieu. The nearest money oraer & telegraph office is at Beaulieu , .
National School (mixed & infants), buut about 1842, for 100 children ; average attendance, 60; Mrs. Ellen Phair, mistress Carriers to _
Lvmington—Read, sat.; Mrs. Broom, sat Southampton—Read, fri.; Page, tues.thurs. k sat
Daplessis John, Newtown park
Duppa Mrs. Battramsley lodge ,
Elers Rev. Edward Henry m.a. [vicar],
Vicar's bill Hawker Peter, St. Austen's Hockin Miss, Gilpins cottage Jones David, Warborne
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS