Persistent identifier:
00660472
image: of 485
neighbourhood of southampton.
WOOLSTOX. 375
WESTON is a tithing and ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1866 from the civil parish of St Mary Extra, o.\ miles south-east from Southampton and 1 mile south from Wool-ston station on the Southampton and Netley railway, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Mansbridge, Southampton petty sessional division and county court district, union of South Stoneham, rural deanery of Southampton and archdeaconry and diocese of Winchester: it is situated on the east side of the river Itchen, at the southern extremity of the parish, between Netley and Woolston, and extends to Southampton Water. The" church of the Holy Trinity is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, porch, and a tower with spire containing 3 bells: it was erected at the sole cost of the late Rev. William Preston Hulton m.a. who also
private residents.
Chalk Charles Cozens James Cudlip Mrs. Mary Hulton Mrs. Barnfield Marshment George
Minns Rev. George William Walter ix.u.
[vicar], The Cliff Moss Richard, Weston grove Othen William, Moss cottage Parker Mrs. E. Florinda cottage Searle James
Trodd Frank, Clifton cottage Unwin James
built the school: the expense of the "whole was about ,£5,000. The register dates from the year 1866. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £145, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester and held since 1879 by the Rev. George William Walter Minns ix.b. of St. Catharine's College, Cambridge, who resides at The Cliff. Tankerville Chamberlayne esq. b.a., d.i,., j.p. of Cranbury Park, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is sandy; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and pasture. The area is 500 acres ; the population in 1881 wa* 247.
Parish Clerk, John Hampton.
Letter Box cleared at 10 a.m. & 9.5 p.m Letters through Southampton. Woolston is
the nearest money order & telegraph office The children attend the schools at Woolston,
Sholing & Butlocks Heath
commercial.
Beavis Robert, blacksmith
Cozens Daniel, fisherman
Cozens George, mariner
Crockford George, plumber
Gould George, blacksmith, New Town
Hensel Augustus, Sun p.h
Parker Thomas, fisherman
Parker William, fisherman, Ivy cottage
Parmenter James, coachman
Penford Edward, gardener
Smith Samuel, carpenter
Souter Richard, Gardeners' Arms p.h
Tanner Alfred, bricklayer, Esie cottage
Townsend William, farmer
"WINSOR, see North Eung. WOODLANDS, see Netley St. Matthew. WOODIiTLY, see Romsey.
WOOLSTON is a tithing and ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1864 from the civil parishes of Hound and St. Mary Extra, situated on the east bank of the Itchen, has a station on the Southampton and Netley railway, and it is 1 mile east from Southampton, which is reached by the Itchen ferry, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Mains-bridge, union of South Stoneham, county court district and petty sessional division of Southampton, rural deanery of Southampton and archdeaconry and diocese of Winchester. St. Mark's church, erected in 1863, at a cost of £3,500, is a building of Swanage stone, in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel and south nave, north aisles and a belfry containing 1 bell: it was enlarged in 1866 and again in 1887, and has sittings for about 680 persons. The register dates from the year 1863. The living is a vicarage, tithe
rent-charge £250, gross yearly value ^273, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1885 by the Rev. Geoffrey Hughes m.a. of Exeter College, Oxford. Here is a Wesleyan chapel andSt.Mary's Presbyterian church. The Catholic chapel of St. Patrick, situated on the Portsmouth road, and built in the year 1884, at a cost of ^800, is an edifice of red brick in the Early Pointed style, consisting of chancel and nave : the nave is used on week days as a day school, being constructed so as to serve both as a school and as a chapel. The large shipbuilding yard of Messrs. Oswald, Mordaunfc and Co. was opened here in 1875, and gives employment to a considerable number of hands. Tankcrville Chamberlayne esq. b.a., D.ii., j. P. of Cranbury Park, Hursley, is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is sandy; subsoil, gravel.
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS