Persistent identifier:
00660472
image: of 485
kelly's directory of southampton.
founded by two brothers, Gervase and Pro tasius, in the reign of Henry III. is for eigh poor persons, and has a chapel, dedicated to St. Julien; the chaplaincy is in the gift o Queen's College, Oxford, and has been helc since 1874 by the Rev. John Aston Whitlock m.a. of Brasenose College, Oxford, and vicar of Holy Rood. The chapel is also used for the services of the French Anglican church, conducted by the Rev. Louis NapoleonSeichan, of the University of Paris.
The Catholic church,Bugle street, dedicated to St. Joseph, is a building of white brick and Caen stone, in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel with two chapels, and nave : the chancel was designed by the elder Pugin: there are about 500 sittings.
The Baptist chapel, East street, erected in 1817, on the site of the former one, built in 1797, has 600 sittings. Portland Baptist chapel, Portland terrace, built in 1840, has upwards of 900 sittings: in 1883, new Sunday school buildings of white brick, with Bath stone dressings were erected, and the interior of the chapel remodelled, under the direction of Mr. W. H. Mitchell, architect," of Southampton. Carlton Baptist chapel, London road, was erected 1865.
The Church of Christ, Above Bar, is a plain building, capable of accommodating abou
1,000 persons, and was erected in 1883.
The Weslevan chapel, in East street, is a noble building in the Decorated Gothic style and seats 1,000 persons : the three chance windows are stained, also the one at the entrance. The Wesleyans have another chape in Bevois Valley. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel in South Front, and another in Ivy road, St. Deny's, built in 1883
St.Andrew'sPresbyterian church, in Brunswick place, facing the East Park, erected 1853, is a building in the Early Decorated style, with a tower at the south front: it has upwards of 700 sittings, of which xoo are free: it was chiefly founded by the late Mr. Alderman Andrew Lamb j.p. : new Sunday school buildings were erected in 1884 by voluntary contributions, in memory of the founder.
The Congregational church, Above Bar, erected in i8ao, on the site of an older building, is a large and handsome structure : the congregation here is the oldest Nonconformist body in Southampton, having been originally founded by the Rev. Mr. Robinson, a former rector of All Saints, who was ejected for Nonconformity in 1662. . Albion Congregational chapel, St. Mary's street, erected in 1848, has a front of the Ionic order, and about 1,100
sittings. The Congregational chapel, West Marlands, is a building of red brick with stone dressings. Belvidere Congregational chapel, Belvidere terrace, Northam, is a small plain building.
The Friends' Meeting House is in Ordnance road, the Avenue.
The Unitarian church is a modern building at the corner of Laura place, Belle Vue road.
The Jews' Synagogue stands in Albion place.
The Catholic Apostolic church, a red brick building, is in Southampton street.
The Watts Memorial Hall, Vincent walk, adjoining the Congregational chapel, Above Bar, was erected by subscriptions in 1876, at cost of nearly £8,000, and consists of a spacious lecture hall, seating 800 persons, and 14 or 15 class rooms : it is used principally for Sunday school purposes.
The Cemetery, situated on Southampton common, was laid out at a cost of .£8,383, and opened 7th May, 1846 : in 1884-5 it was enlarged at an expense of .£3,116, and now comprises about 27 acres, with 3 mortuary chapels : that for the Established Church is in the Norman style ; the Nonconformist chapel being Early English : the Jews' chapel is fenced off from the rest of the cemetery, and has a separate entrance : about one-third of the ground is unconsecrated, and there are entrances in the Avenue and Hill lane, with a porter's lodge : the Cemetery is under the control of a corporation committee of 10 members.
Thorner's Charity Almshouses, situated Above Bar, were built in 1789, additions made in 1818, 1826 and 1838, and now houses 43 poor widows, who, in addition to their residence, each receive the sum of 5s. weekly : there are also additional homes for eight poor widows in a branch of this charity in Polygon road, Bedford place, and a new block is now in course of erection.
Malortie's Almshouses are for 10 poor persons, who receive a dole at Christmas; and Butler's Almshouses, for 4 inmates, who receive small sums at Christmas and Easter.
The general charities money and clothing and
for distribution in for loans to young tradesmen amount to over £300.
There are commodious warm, cold, shower and vapour baths : some very spacious public swimming baths were erected in 1854 by a company, on a site on the western shore, given by the corporation.
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS