Persistent identifier:
00660472
image: of 485
kelly's directory of southampton.
added in 1873 ; it is a building of stone, and consists of chancel, nave and aisles, and an orcan chamber added in 1883 : the total cost, raised by subscription and grants, was about £9,000 : a reredos, in mosaic, was erected in 18 77 by the late vicar, and an organ, costing about £1,000, has been introduced: there are about 1,400 sittings, or which 700 are free. The register dates from the year 1853. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £210, net yearly vahie /240, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1881 by the Rev. William Willcox Perrin m.a. of Trinity College, Oxford, and surrogate. The area is 240 acres ; the population in 1881 was 7,630.
St Matthew's is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1866 from the parishes of St. Mary and Holy Trinity : the church, situated in St. Mary's road, erected in 1870, is a building of stone in the Norman sty e, and consists of chancel, nave and aisles, the north aisle being added in 1874: there are 800 sittings, of which 250 are free. The register dates from the year 1869. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value, from tithe rent-charge, £490, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Richard Hughes m.a. Corpus Christi college, Cambridge; the population in 1884 was 5,500.
St. Paul's is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1863 from that of All Saints': the church, in Laura place, is a stuccoed building in a modern Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel and nave : there are several good stained windows, one of which is a memorial to Samuel Wilberforce, Bishop of W inchester, who, on July 19th, 1873, was killed by a fall from his horse near Dorking, Surrey : the communion plate was presented by the late William Chamberlayne esq. m.p. for Southampton : an organ was erected in 1884, at a cost of 800 guineas, in memory of the Rev J. W. Cary d.d. first vicar of this church there are 670 sittings, of which 300 are freti The register dates from the year 1861. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £I40> chiefly derived from pew rents, in the gift oi the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1877 by the Rev.George Cecil White m.a. 0 Caius College, Cambridge. The vicarage house was purchased in 1881 for £1,000, £5°° 0 which was raised by subscription. The area is 48 acres; the population in 1881 was 2,285 St. Peter's is an ecclesiastical parish, formec in 1861 from that of All Saints : the church, situated in Commercial road, and erectec in 1846, at a cost of £3,5565 is a building of stone in the Continental Gothic style, con-
sisting of apsidal chancel, nave and tower: there are several stained windows, and a handsome stone and marble pulpit, presented as a memorial by a member of the congregation : there are 480 sittings, of whicn 200 are free. The register dates from the year 1846. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £200, derived from pew rents, in the gift of the rector of All Saints, and held
since 1869 by the Rev. Charles Edward Steward
m.a. of Magdalen College, Oxford ; the population in 1881 was 1,866.
Northam is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1853 from the parish of St. Mary : Christ church was built in 1854- The new church of St. Augustine, built in 1881-4, at a cost of about £6,000, and consecrated December 9th,
sotjth.
• uuuu : __ ... . i
1884, is an edifice in the Early English style, from designs by H. Woodyer esq. of Guildford, and stands on a site given by Tankerville Cliamberlayne esq. of Cranbury Park ; it consists of apsidal chancel, nave, aisles, organ chamber and vestries: there are sittings for 650 persons. The register dates from the year 1853. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £240, gross yearly value £300, net /210, with residence, in the gift of the Jishop of Winchester, and held since 1883 by the Rev. Henry Mitchinson Coverley Price m.a. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The jopulation in 1881 was 4»I7^»
The Mission to Seamen Institute, situated opposite the Dock gates, is a structure of red 3rick, erected in 1883-4, at a cost, including fittings, of £1,250, from designs by Mr W. B. G. Bennett, borough surveyor. A reading room and baths are attached to the building, which was opened 12th July, 1884, by Rolles Driver esq. then Mayor.
The Seamen's Institute and Mission Room, on the Town Quay, is an important and permanent addition to the Missions to Seamen, Hrst begun here in 1856. The house which has been adapted for this purpose is conveniently situated, and comprises on the ground floor a coffee bar, with a small anteroom beyond, in which light refreshments are served, whilst on the first floor are two reading rooms, one for captains and omcers, the other for the men, and a small library. The reading-rooms being divided by folding doors can readily be converted into a single room capable of seating about eighty persons. In this room religious services, temperance meetings, lectures or concerts are hold twice a week ; Rev. James King Melliss t.a.k.c.l. chaplain : a Mission boat has been presented to the institute for use on Southampton Water.
The Hospital of God's House, Winkle street,
it
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS