Persistent identifier:
00660472
image: of 485
kelly's directory of Southampton.
^4,000 more being required to complete the tower and spire. At Easter, 1885, a new reredos by Earp and Son was erected at a cost of j£6oo. There are 1,114 sittings, all 0' ■which are free. The register dates from the year 1650, the earlier portion having been burned. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value ^1,160, with residence, known as the Deanery, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1871 by the Rev. Albert Basil Orme Wilberforce m.a. of Exeter College, Oxford, and hon. canon of Winchester.
All Saints' church, High street, erected under a special Act of Parliament, is a spacious and handsome structure of brick and stone in the Classic style, consisting of nave only; the west front is 60k feet high and is adorned with four Ionic columns : this church is remarkable for possessing one of the largest unsupported ceilings in the kingdom : the remains of Sir George Carteret bart. m. p. a naval officer of high repute in the reign of Charles I. and vice-chamberlain to Charles II. lie in the catacombs of this church ; he died 13th January, 1679 : in 1871-87 the interior was much improved : it contains 1,100 sittings, of which a large proportion are free. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value ^400, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1885 by the Rev. Augustus Newton Obbard m.a. of St. John's College, Cambridge.
Holy Rood church, situated in the High street, at the corner of Bridge street, was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower and spire, in 1848, and is an edifice of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and a tower containing an illuminated clock and 8 bells: the north and south galleries were removed in 1883: the church contains 600 sittings, of which about 200 are free. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value, partly from 55 acres of glebe, £250, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1874 by the Rev. John Aston Whitlock m.a. of Brase-nose College, Oxford, who is also chaplain of God's House Hospital and surrogate.
The church of St. Lawrence with St. John, High street, is an edifice in the Early English style, and consists of chancel and nave, with a tower rising only to the ridge of the nave and containing 2 bells : there are 550 sittings, of which 250 are free. The register dates from the year 1760. The living is a rectory, united to the rectory of St. John's, joint gross yearly value ^337, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1876 by the Rev. Henry Horace Pereira m,a, of Trinity
College, Dublin, and domestic chaplain to Lord Kingsale.
St. Michael's church, situated in St. Michael's square, is an ancient building of stone in the Norman and later styles, with Perpendicular insertions, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and a central tower with spire, containing 8 bells: the tower was strengthened and the spire heightened in 1880: in the church are monuments to Sir Richard Lister kt. Chief Justice of the King's Bench, ob. 1553, and Thomas Fleming, one of his successors in that office, ob. 1613: there are two stained windows, and 621 sittings, all free. The register dates from the year 1562. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value ^183, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1870 by the Rev. Francis Maundy Gregory m.a. of Oriel College, Oxford.
Holy Trinity is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1848 from St. Mary's parish. The church, in North Front, Kingsland, is a building of brick, stuccoed, in the Norman style, consisting of nave, with apse and aisles : it contains 1,257 sittings, of which 761 are free. The register dates from the year 1829. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £320, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1886 by the Rev. Francis James Ashmall m.a. of Queens' College, Cambridge. The population in 1881 was 5,208.
St. James' is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1853 from the parish of St. Mary: the church, situated in Bridge road, was erected in 1858, at a cost exceeding ^4,000, and is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles: the church was consecrated on the 4th October, 1858, and has 830 sittings, of which 512 are free: the sites for the church and vicarage house were given by Queen's College, Oxford. The register dates from the year 1858. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value, from tithe rent-charge, £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and held since 1884 by the Rev. Arthur Fraser Forbes m.a. of St. Mary Hall, Oxford. The area is 162 acres; the population in 1881 was 7,314.
St. James' Mission Chapel, Cross street, Queen street, Rev. F. James, curate; George Oliver Grice, lay helper.
St. Luke's, Newtown, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1853 from the parish of St. Mary and the tithing of Portswood, in South Stoneham parish: the church, situated in Upper Chamberlayne place, was erected in 1853 and enlarged 1860, and had a chancel
J
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS