Persistent identifier:
00660471
image: of 718
VILLAGE DIRECTORY.
655
erected in 1848 at a cost of £7,000. There is accommodation for 300 inmates, with over 20 acres of land for cultivation, on which the paupers are employed. The waterworks are at Mainsbridge.
The church, dedicated to St. Mary, bearing date of register 1663, is an ancient edifice in the Early English style. The living is a Vicarage, held by the Rev. Win. Dann Harrison, M.A., of Worcester college, Oxford. The manorial rights are extinct. The Chamberlayne family and the trustees of the late Thos. Willis-Fleming, Esq., are the principal landowners.
Parish Clerk—George Dacre.
There is a reading and coffee room
at Burgess street. .
Letters arrive through Southampton. West-end is the nearest Money Order office, which place see under its heading for names, 6c.
Poor-law Guardians—Capt. C. W. Andrew, R.N., W. Danells, and Jas. Ireland Population of the Parish (1881), about 12,900.
Private.
Cardus John Town hill Davison Capt. Thos. South Stone-
ham house Harrison Eev. Wm. Dann, M.A.
vicar, Vicarage Norton J. L. Boundary hall,
Burgess street Wyatt Mrs. E. Woodcott house, Burgess street
Commercial.
Biggs R. plumber and painter, Watford villa, Burgess street Black Tom. farmer, Barton farm Burch —, farmer, Burgess street Bushell Henry, market gardener,
Burgess street Candy Simon, farmer, Allington Channell Richd. wheelwright, Burgess street
Ford Geo. reading room and coffee
house, Burgess street Ford John, bootmaker and beer
retailer, Burgess street Gater Richard, Gate Hangs High,
Burgess street Gray Henry, bootmaker and oil
dealer, Burgess street Hall Chas. Stile Inn, Burgess st. Harnett Geo. Gate Inn, Burgess st. Hornsey Edwin, grocer, Burgess st. Hornsey Hy. shopkeeper and wood
dealer, Burgess street Miles John, cab proprietor, Burgess street OwtonWm. farmer, Chalcroft farm Richards Walter, beer retailer, Burgess street, Highfield
ST. DENYS.
See under Southampton for Names.
ST. MARY EXTRA with IT CHEN and PEAR TREE GREEN.
A parish 1 mile east from Southampton, by way of the Steam Floating bridge, which crosses ! every five minutes. The parish is in the southern division of the county, in South Stoneham union, and is under the same jurisdiction. St. Mary's parish . extends from Bitterne to Netley. The church is situated on Pear Tree green, a small edifice, bearing date of register 1669. The living is a vicarage, held by the Rev. Thos. Lewis Owen Davies, M.A., of Exeter college, Oxford. The Congregation alists have a place of worship here. There is a burial board, and a cemetery situated on Weston commor, » The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are Lords of the Manor and chief landowners.
Parish Clerk—James Freemantle,
Woolston.
Collector—Wm. Fowler, Woolston. Cemetery—Richard Davies, clerk and keeper.
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS