Persistent identifier:
00660471
image: of 718
VILLAGE DIRECTORY.
651
Letters arrive from Southampton through Redbridge. Nursling is the nearest money order office Population, 1881, 465.
Private.
Ball W. Henry, Laburnham cott.
Brownhill Chamberlain Lieut.-General Sir Neville B. K.C.B. G.C.S.I. Lordswood Gardener Miss E. Moss Leigh McQuhae Mrs. St. Evox Monteith G. Stuart, The mount Bankin Robert, Belmont Saunders Mrs. Rownhams park Taylor Charles, Green hill Trench Lady Helena, parsonage Warry Henry, Rose bank White Rev. C. L. curate of St.
John's Church, Fernyhurst lodge Wilson Rev. Robert Francis, M.A. vicar of St. John's Church, and canon of Salisbury Cathedral, Fernyhurst
Commercial.
Bartlett Nathaniel, market gardener
Betteridge Samuel, gamekeeper Cole Samuel, blacksmith Cole William, beer retailer Dewey Wm. boot maker Dixon John, butler Drew Richard Hy. schoolmaster,
St. John's School Fiford Henry, market gardener Gradidge Henry, market gardener Gradidge William, farmer, Fair Lawn
Jones Noah, market gardener Kittcatt Samuel, market gardener Neale George, market gardener Sheppard Francis, gardener Withers R. farmer, Lower Toot hill farm
RUMBRIDGE.
(See Names under Totton).
SARISBURY & SWANWICK.
An ecclesiastical district, formed in 1837 from the civil parish of Titchfield, comprising Swanwick
Brook and all the northern and western parts of the parish, 6£ miles from Southampton, 5 N.W. from Titchfield, and 8 from Fare-ham railway station, in the southern division of the county, uniofa of Fareham, county court district of Portsmouth, Alverstofce rural deanery, Winchester diocese and archdeaconry. The district is noted for some excellent strawberry gardens, the fruit of which are sent to Covent Garden and other markets.
The Church (St. Paul) is a small brick edifice, in the Early English style, built by subscription in 1836, which is also the date of register. The living is a Vicarage, held by the Rev. Richard Harvey, M.A., of St. John's College, Oxford. There is a Congregational church and a Wes-leyan chapel.
Holly hill, the seat of Quintin Hogg, Esq., is a handsome structure, standing in a well-wooded park, the grounds of which, running down to the river Hamble, are tastefully laid out.
There is a National School, built in 1839 and 1847. Wm. Baughan, master; Mrs. Baughan, mistress.
Parish Clerks-David Harding
Congregational Church, Sarisbury green (in the gift of Quintin Hogg, Esq.), is a very pretty iron church, containing a fine-toned organ, costing over £400, the gift of Quintin Hogg, Esq. The interior is fitted up with pine-wood seats, &c. The Rev. Robt. Wearmouth is the minister. There is also an institute in connection with this church.
Prudential Assurance Agent—W. Cole, Sarisbury green.
Post Office, Money Order, and Savings Bank, fearisbury green —W. A. Newbury, Receiver. Box cleared at 7.15 p.m.; Sunday, 7.45 a.m.; Parcels Post, 6.45 p.m. Post Office, Swanwick—
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS