Persistent identifier:
00660471
image: of 718
646
village directory.
the southern division of the ounty, South Stoneham Union, and jurisdiction, near the River Itchin. Here is a fine park, the property of the Fleming family, under the control of the trustees. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, bearing date of register 1640, was rebuilt during the 17th century, in the early English style, and is covered with ivy, having a nave, aisles, clock tower, and three bells. The church contains the remains of the famous Admiral Lord Hawke, who died in 1781, a monument being erected to his memory. There is also a monument to Lord Chief Justice Fleming, and a tablet to the memory of the Rev. Canon Beadon (who was rector for this parish 65 years) who departed this life June 10th 1879, aged 101 years. The living is a rectory, with residence held by the' Bev. Arthur B Willis-Fleming, A.K.C.L.
Here is a National School, sup perted by voluntary contribu tions, having accommodation for over 150 scholars. Master—J B. Driver; mistress, Mrs. Driver In 1720 Edward Dummer gave £300 towards erecting a school house, and an annuity of £5, by which five poor boys of the parish receive free instruction. Parish clerk—Thomas Heath Poor Law Guardians—Messrs. T.
Black and J. F. Sheppard Post Office—B. Barnes, receiver Letters arrive through Southampton at 7.0 a.m., despatched at 6.30 p.m. Wall letter box at Bed lodge. Nearest money order office is at EasMeigh. North End, Burgess street, and Bassett are hamlets, 1£ miles
Population, about 1,300.
Names.
Rowland Mrs. Burgess street
Willis-Fleming, Bev. A. Buchanan,
A.K.C.L. rector, The Rectory Barnes Richard, blacksmith & Post Office
Brazier Thomas, market gardener Brown E. farmer Browning Wm. carrier Bull Joseph & Son, brick manufacturers Cox J. G. farmer, and Cricketeri' Arms
Driver J. B. master of North
Stoneham Schools Heath Thomas, parish clerk Jeffrey Wm. farmer Parker John, market gardener Pink Richard, jun. steward, The Cottage
Vine Thomas, farmer, and New Hut Inn
Withers Henry, farmer, North End
NURSLING (or Nutshalling).
(Se also Rownhams).
A pleasant but scattered village and parish, 5 miles N.W. from Southampton, 3£ miles S. from Romsey, 2 miles N. from Red-bridge railway station, and 86 from London, in the southern division of the county, Romsey Union, and under the same jurisdiction. The church, dedicated to St. Boniface, date of register 1617, is a neat brick and stone edifice, containing several monuments—one (white marble) being erected to the memory of the Rev. Robert Cranmer, who was rector here 55 years. The living is a rectory, held by the Rev. Henry Courtenay Hawtrey, M.A. The Wesleyans have ft chapel here: ministers, various. Lord Mount-Temple is chief landowner
Upton is a hamlet on the Romsey and Southampton road, half ft mile N.*E.
Here is a National School (mixed). Benjamin Mainer, master; Mrs. James, mistress
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS