Persistent identifier:
00660471
image: of 718
VILLAGE DIRECTORY.
621
Commercial.
Abraham John and Son, market
gardeners Adams Wm. shoeing and general smith
Banchini Miss Alice, grocer and
draper, Post Office Bignell John, market gardener Burton Miss, schoolmistress Chance, Samuel, beer retailer,
Barleycorn Forder Thos. Hy. farmer, Bury-wood
Goodall Wm. gardener and parish clerk
Gurman Hy. toll collector Hughes Caleb, Fountain Inn Othen Thos. farmer Oxford Geo. carpenter, G-lendale Smart Jos. foreman brick maker Terry Wm. and John, grocers and
drapers Tomlin Ed. farmer Ward John, farmer, Freeground White John, brick manufacturer Wild S. G. shoeing and general smith
Willan Frank, Thornhill, Bitterne road
HIGHFIELD.
A pleasant village and suburb of Southampton, in Portswood tithing and parish of South Stone-ham, and being under the same jurisdiction, about 1^ miles from Southampton, having delightful walks approaching it, either by way of the Avenue or Portswood, on which way the Southampton Tramway Co. run cars within a few minutes walk from Christ-church, situated in Highfield lane, which is a handsome edifice in the transition style, erected in 1847, costing about £4,000, and further enlarged in 1856, at a cost of another £1,000, and restored in 1868, the improvements effecting a fnrther cost of £700. The chnrch has several hand-. some stained glass windows. ... There is an excellent parsonage
attached. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, held by the Eer. E. Silver. Here is a National School, under good management. For Names of Residents see under Southampton.
HOOK with WARSASH.
An ecclesiastical district, formed in 1872 from the parish of Titchfield, distant from Soutuai&pton 7 miles, 5 from Titchfield, and 5 from Fareham station, situated on the shore of Southampton Water, in the southern division of the county, Fareham union, • Portsmouth county court district, archdeaconry and diocese of Winchester. The church, dedic ated to St. Mary, was built in 1872, having a register cf same date. It is a neat and well-built edifice, in the early English style, having nave, chancel, aisles, and a bell turret. The living is a Vicarage, held bv the Eev. John Gauian, B.A. Here is a Congregational chapel.
Parish Clerk—Thos. Boyes.
Thnre are schools both at Hook and Waivash. Hook National—JYJr. Farrier is the master. Warsash W. Waight, master; Mrs.Waight, mistress.
Post Office, Warsash—Jas. Baker, receiver. Letters arrive frcm Faieham, through Titchfield, and are delivered at 9.30 a.m.; i es-patclied, 5.40 p.m.; Sundays, 10.0 a.m.
Hamble is the nearest money order and telegiaph office.
Population (1881), 939.
Private.
Bradshaw Frank, J.P. Abshott ho. Chase Geo. Hcok gi ange Gam an Eev. John, The Hook Gray Geo. Fish house Hornby E. Owen, Hook house Hornby Ihos. Wynn, The Hook Leggatt Horace Bethm_e, Brown-wioh
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS