Persistent identifier:
00660471
image: of 718
HISTORY OF ROMSEY.
569
The Union Workhouse, situated on the Winchester Eoad, was erected in 1774 as a private mansion, but not occupied as such. Its enlargement, since the formation of the Union, now offers accommodation for 180 persons, but the average of inmates is not quite 100. The buildings are most convenient, and cleanliness and comfort are the order of the day, and much praise is due to the Master and Matron, Mr. and Mrs. Jerram. The New Cemetery, situated on Whitenap Hill consecrated in 1857 by the Bishop of Winchester, comprises over three acres, with two mortuary chapels. The grounds are in excellent order, and a sacred ornament to the town, There are several breweries, two tan yards, and a paper mill, also corn warehouses.
A Workmen's (or Social) Club was established in 1878, in Bell Street, and is well attended, being well supplied with papers, &c. There is also a refreshment room,
There is also a Library and Beading Society, at the Town Hall, having all newspapers, periodicals, and magazines. Lectures and entertainments were formerly given during the winter season, but owing to the scanty attendance are now discontinued.
Here is an Agricultural Society, the show being held annually; also the Bomsey and South Hants Horse and Poultry Society, the president being the Bight Hon. Lord Mount Temple. A Savings Bank and a Penny Savings Bank is held here.
The market day is Thursday, and a large market is held on alternate Thursdays.
Lord of the Manor, the Bight Hon. Lord Mount Temple, who, with the trustees of John Willis Fleming, constitute the chief landowners.
Ashfield, Cupernham, Lee, Main stone, Toothill, Woodley, Woodbury, and Wools are in Bomsey Extra,
Parish Clerk, Charles Holloway.
The population in 1871 was—Bomsey Infra, 2,056; Bomsey Extra, 3,625; total, 5,681. For population in 1881 see Local Intelligence.
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS