Persistent identifier:
00660465
image: of 373
RELATING TO SOUTHAMPTON.
36
and town of Southampton, for making a convenient dock for the security of 'ships, for extending the quays and wharfs, and making docks and piers in the harbour there, and for erecting warehouses for the safe custody of goods and merchandize, and for imposing certain duties for the above purposes; also an Act to amend and render more effectual an Act made in the twentieth year (1747) of his late Majesty, George the Second, for repairing, improving, and maintaining the public conduits an other water works belonging to the town of Southampton. '
1804. The Water Gate, at the bottom of the High-street, pulled down.
1805. The Marquis of Lansdowne built a castle on Lansdowne Hill.
1809 The statue of Queen Anne removed from the south side of the Bar Gate to the Sessions Hall, to make room for the one of George the
Third, a gift from the Marquis of Lansdowne.
1810 The Lancasterian Schools established.—Building commenced in Kinesland Place.—An Act of Parliament passed to alter and amend two Acts passed in the twentieth year (1747) of George the Second and forty-third (1803) of George the Third, for maintaining the public conduits and
other waterworks belonging to Southampton ; also an Act for altering and
amending an Act made in the forty-third year (1803) of George the Third, for improving the port of the town of Southampton; also an Act to amend an Act made in the tenth year (1770) of George the Third, for paving, repairing, cleansing, lighting, and watching the streets and other public passages in the town of Southampton.—The town supplied with water from
the reservoirs.
1811. The population amounted to 9617.
1812. The National Schools and Lying-in Charities established.
1814. The Bible Society instituted.—The number of houses amounted to J652._The building of Portland Street commenced.—The barracks, governor's house, officers' quarters, and houses and cottages for the use of the men employed under the Ordnance Storekeeper at Marchwood built.
1815. The Savings' Bank established.—Possession was first taken of the canal in Union Terrace.—Duties received at the port, £44,618.
1816. The Ladies' Bible Association formed.—A Military Asylum established for orphan boys of soldiers.
1818. Baptist Chapel in Last-street built.—Lansdowne Castle pulled
down.
1819. Houndwell Cottage erected.—December 28 and 29. Snow in the
streets fifteen inches deep.
1820. Above Bar Chapel built.—The Auxiliary Peace Society esta
Wished._July 18. The first steamer commenced plying.—The building of
College and Union Streets commenced.
1821. The population amounted to 13,353.—July 10. All Saints churchyard consecrated.—August 21. Gas introduced.
1822. Society of Friends' Chapel built.—The races were renewed after having been discontinued for several years.—1 he pillar erected in honor of William Chamberlayne, Esq., of Cranbury Park, for presenting to the town the iron columns to support the public gas lamps.—July 27.
Fletcher $ Co., Printers.
c 2
1845.
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS