Persistent identifier:
00660465
image: of 373
RELATING TO SOUTHAMPTON.
33
Dukes of Clarence and Warwick, and those of Earl Rivers, when the former were defeated and prevented seizing a large vessel called the
Trinity, belonging to the port.
1473. The gallant and accomplished Earl Rivers sailed on a pilgrimage
to Rome.
Between 1461 and 1483. Several skirmishes took place between the inhabitants, on account of the disputes of the Houses of York and Lancaster : about twenty partizans of the latter were executed and impaled. 1512. The English army embarked to assist Ferdinand of Spain against
France.
July 6, 1522. The emperor Charles the Fifth embarked for Spain,
1532. West Gate built.
1550. The grammar school founded.
1252. Edward the sixth paid a visit. He proposed making Southampton the port for the Norman, Gascon, and Lombard merchants.
1554. Philip of Spain landed to marry Mary, Queen of England, at Winchester.
1558. Sixty-two ships belonged to the port.
1560. Queen Elizabeth paid a visit.
1565. St. Mary's alms' houses built.
1567. The chapel adjoining God's House appropriated to the Walloon Protestants, who had fled from the persecution of the Duke of Alva. 1575. Queen Elizabeth granted a new coat of arms.
1587. The silver obverse of the corporation seal presented to the municipal authorities.
Between 1558 and 1603. Four hundred and ninety men furnished to the
army._The Protestants of the Netherlands found refuge from the cruelties
of Alva.—Southampton became a post town.
September 16, 1620. Jesus Chapel, on Pear Tree Green, consecrated by the celebrated Lancelot Andrews, Bishop of Winchester.
1625. Charles the First, with his council, took up his residence. He met
ambassadors from Holland.
1636. One hundred and ninety-five pounds were furnished as sihp-money : a larger sum than was raised in any town in Hampshire.
1641. Charles the First renewed and enlarged the charter. 1665. A dreadful plague raged.
1671. St. John's hospital established.
July 17, 1674. Dr. Isaac Watts born.
1679. Tolls on merchandize passing through the Bar Gate ceased to be taken.
1695. The trade declined and the population decreased. L
1711. St. Mary's Church built. " X* -
1712. Calvin's liturgy discontinued at God's House Chapel, and Divine service performed according to the ritual of the Church of England.
1720. A stage coach commenced running during the summer only. 1728. The Newfoundland trade ceased.
1744. The two lions placed at the Bar Gate.
Flctchcr 1845.
Facebook Twitter Stumbleupon Delicious Digg RSS